Atlas of Worlds
The Atlas of Worlds is a visualisation of the dream worlds that are opened by activating maps, how these worlds are linked and the way they progress towards the centre. The Atlas is separated in four quadrants which can be entered through a tier 1 map, one in each corner of the Atlas. These tier 1 maps start dropping in Act 8. When the player progresses through the maps, their tiers - and difficulty - will increase.
The Atlas also displays areas influenced by the Shaper and the Elder, which have a chance to drop Shaper or Elder items which have their own unique affixes. When the Elder zone grows large enough, 5 maps in the Elder-influenced area will have the Elder and the Elder Guardians replacing the bosses.
All maps, both base maps and unique maps, are located on the Atlas of Worlds. Map drops are not completely random; instead a specific tier is chosen first and the map type is chosen from pool of maps completed for that tier or connected to the map the player is currently playing. 
Each completed map base type also gives a 1% chance to upgrade the tier of a map, with values over 100% giving a chance to increase the tier a second time. The maximum map tier however can not bypass drop restrictions, even if it would have been upgraded.
For example, a rare monster in a tier 6 map with 125% completion bonus:
- a rare monster can drop +1 maps, as such it can drop tier 1 to 7 maps
- it will only drop maps that are adjacent or already unlocked on the atlas
- a tier 5 drop would be upgraded to tier 6, with a 25% chance to be upgraded to tier 7
- a tier 6 drop would be upgraded to tier 7, but can't be upgraded any further
- a tier 7 is already the highest possible drop, and can't be upgraded any further
Untainted ParadiseUntainted Paradise
Tropical Island MapMap Level: 75
Map Tier: 8Area has increased monster variety
Area is inhabited by wild Animals
Monsters drop no items
(300-400)% increased Experience gainFor this beauty,
beauty without strength,
chokes out life.Travel to this Map by using it in the Templar Laboratory or a personal Map Device. Maps can only be used once. and The Beachhead do not count towards Atlas completion.
Initially, Shaper influenced maps will appear on the Atlas, marked with a cosmic background surrounding the map. Shaper influenced areas can contain additional enemies or the boss becomes enhanced by the Shaper, making them more difficult. These areas have a chance to drop a rare Shaper item, which can contain modifiers not found in regular crafted items. Once a Shaper-influenced map is cleared, it will disappear. New influenced areas will appear over time and old areas can disappear.
Elder-influenced areas start appearing as you progress through the Epilogue quests, after clearing 4 Shaper-influenced maps followed by a Tier 6+ Shaper-influenced map. Like Shaper-influenced areas, these areas can drop Elder items with their own unique set of modifiers. The Elder-influenced area will expand as maps are cleared, but will stop growing if a Shaper-influenced area is in the way. Clearing the Shaper-influenced area that's blocking the way will allow the Elder-influenced area to continually grow. Unlike Shaper-influenced areas, Elder-influenced areas must be connected together. Clearing an Elder-influenced area that severs a connection between parts will cause you to lose influence on multiple disconnected areas.
When the area of influence grows large enough which is around 15 maps above, 5 random maps in the area will have the Elder or an Elder Guardian replace the map's boss. You must defeat all four Elder Guardians before you can fight the Elder. These areas will not change until the corresponding map is cleared. After clearing 20 maps while the Elder is residing in the Atlas, there is a chance for the Elder and his guardians to leave the map they are influencing.
Elder-influenced areas can only have 30 on the Atlas at most.
Elder-influenced areas can also contain a Memory Fragment, which can be traded in to Zana for a Shaper's Orb. Memory Fragments I to X can be found in Tier 6 to 15 Elder-influenced maps, and Memory Fragments XI to XV can be obtained by defeating an Elder Guardian or the Elder in a red tier map.
- Shaper's Orbs are awarded for completing an Elder-influenced map that contains a Memory Fragment. They can be used to upgrade a map into a "Shaped" map to drop which are 5 tiers higher than their regular counterpart
- Cartographer's Sextants allow applying a special modifier to map, which applies its stats in a radius to other nearby maps. Those stats can be stacked, but a mod is used up after 3 uses 
- Unshaping Orbs can be used to unshape a map.
- Cartographer's Seals "uncomplete" a map.
Shaper's Orbs are used to upgrade lower tier maps whose layout or bosses a player may find accessible but whose drops and experience gains wouldn't otherwise be attractive. A Shaper's Orb grants +5 to the tier of those maps, i.e. increases the difficulty. The result is a shaped map.
Players acquire Shaper's Orbs by collecting Memory Fragments and giving them to Zana. Memory Fragments are found by killing the bosses of Elder-influenced maps circled in blue on the Atlas.
One Elder's OrbElder's OrbUpgrades any map on the Atlas to Tier 16Right click this item then left click on a map on the Atlas to upgrade it to tier 16. can be obtained from the Epilogue quest after collecting all 15 Memory Fragments and defeating the Shaper. It upgrades a map of any tier into a tier 16 map.
End of league transfer
The merge has the following rules:
- Maps or bonus objectives completed transferred to the parent league
- Cartographer's Sextant mods:
- They will be moved to the parent league; if the map already has a mod, the parent league mods will be kept
- Legacy modifiers continue to exist and work as long they have not been overridden
- Shaped maps will carry over if the equivalent level Shaper's Orb hasn't been used on parent league; if you already shaped a map of the tier the parent league takes preference
- Shaper's Orbs:
Atlas exclusive base items
- Masterseek (August 13, 2016). "Path of Exile: Atlas of Worlds Interview. A Map of Condensed Hype.". 2p.com. Retrieved August 13, 2016.
- Chris (August 29, 2016). "Forum - Development Manifesto - Cumulative Atlas Completion Bonus - Path of Exile". Grinding Gear Games. Retrieved August 29, 2016.
- Negitivefrags (November 12, 2016). "[Question]What happens to the atlas and the sextant mods when essence gets transferred to standard?". Reddit. Retrieved January 25, 2017.