Trial of Ascendancy
The ancient Azmerians constructed complex Trials, to test aspiring leaders; body, mind and soul. To select candidates for his Labyrinth, Emperor Izaro revived this tradition with his own sinister designs.Description on the official Path of Exile website
The Trials of Ascendancy are areas to be discovered as the player travels through Wraeclast. Each trial showcases a specific type of trap, acting as a form of tutorial for the Labyrinth. Only when all trials are completed will the player be able to enter the Labyrinth of the specified difficulty. Cruel, Merciless, and Endgame Labyrinth's also require completion of the previous Labyrinth in addition to completion of the specified trials below. Progress through the Trials of Ascendancy is shared between all of a player's characters in each league.
The trials are always located within the listed zones, but have a variable location within the zone.
List of trials
Provides access to the Normal Labyrinth:
- The Lower Prison, Act 1, showcasing Spike traps
- The Crypt Level 1, Act 2, showcasing Spinning blades
- The Chamber of Sins Level 2, Act 2, showcasing Sawblades
- The Crematorium, Act 3, showcasing Furnace traps
- The Catacombs, Act 3, showcasing Blade sentries
- The Imperial Gardens, Act 3, showcasing Dart traps
Provides access to the Cruel Labyrinth:
- The Prison (Act 6), showcasing Spike traps
- The Crypt (Act 7), showcasing Spinning blades
- The Chamber of Sins Level 2 (Act 7), showcasing Sawblades
Provides access to the Merciless Labyrinth:
- The Bath House, Act 8, showcasing Furnace traps
- The Tunnel, Act 9, showcasing Blade sentries
- The Ossuary, Act 10, showcasing Dart traps
Trials for the Eternal Labyrinth are randomly found in maps:
- Trial of Piercing Truth, showcasing Spike traps
- Trial of Swirling Fear, showcasing Spinning blades
- Trial of Crippling Grief, showcasing Sawblades
- Trial of Burning Rage, showcasing Furnace traps
- Trial of Lingering Pain, showcasing Blade sentries
- Trial of Stinging Doubt, showcasing Dart traps
The Eternal trials randomly appear in maps and showcase a new type of trap, the Sentinel trap. Completing a trial rewards the player with an Offering to the Goddess. Each run for the Eternal Labyrinth consumes an Offering.
The Dream Trial prophecy greatly helps to discover trials in maps. Not only does it greatly increase the frequency that Eternal Trial portals spawn in maps, the Prophecy only closes if you ENTER the trial portal. If a trial portal is in a map the Prophecy note also immediately shows up in the Quests quicklist the instant you enter the map, so you will immediately know if a Trial has spawned in the area. You can then quickly find it and check the Trial Plaque against the portal to see if it is one you have completed yet, and if not just move on leaving the Prophecy active and still improving the chances of Trial portals spawning in future maps.
Joining the global chat 820 community may help in finding the missing trials.
- Path of Exile. "Trials of Ascendancy". Official Path of Exile website.