Strongboxes are a special type of loot container found throughout Wraeclast. When opened, a strongbox will release groups of monsters to surround and attack the character. Only once all of the ambushing monsters are slain will a strongbox relinquish its loot. The monsters released by a strongbox also drop loot and grant experience when killed. Monsters not directly summoned by the strongbox, such as Spitters emerging from Shield Crabs, or raised undead, do not need to be killed to unlock the strongbox.
Strongboxes come in different base types which determine the kinds of items that can normally be obtained from them. Modifiers can further alter the loot contents, such as granting additional rare items or gems.
With 2218 strongboxes pool, done via Monstrous Treasure prophecy, users expect the following kind of distribution. Note that test was made in Tier-13 and higher maps, where Cartographer's strongboxes cannot spawn.
|Base Type||Contents||Count||Spawn rate|
|Arcanist's Strongbox||Currency that do not affect quality||96||4.3%|
|Armourer's Strongbox||Armour, The Body, The Mayor||132||6%|
|Artisan's Strongbox||Currency that affect quality||155||6.9%|
|Cartographer's Strongbox||Maps, The Cartographer||-||-|
|Diviner's Strongbox||Divination cards||42||1.9%|
|Gemcutter's Strongbox||Gems, The Gemcutter||74||3.3%|
|Jeweller's Strongbox||Amulets, rings, belts, jewels, Hubris||167||7.5%|
|Large Strongbox||Assorted items (increased quantity)||104||4.7%|
|Ornate Strongbox||Assorted items (increased rarity)||62||2.8%|
Like chests, increased Item Quantity from gear does not increase the number of items dropped from a strongbox. However, map quantity and the number of players do increase the number of items dropped from most strongboxes. The only exception is the Cartographer's Strongbox, where the number of players does not increase the amount of map drops.
Like items and monsters, strongboxes come in different rarities with various modifiers. A non-normal strongbox inherently has increased item quantity and rarity regardless of other modifiers. It must be identified with a Scroll of Wisdom to reveal its modifiers. It is also possible to craft strongboxes using currency items. Corrupting a strongbox with a Vaal Orb may corrupt some of the loot contents.
Prefixes can make the ambush encounter more dangerous by releasing additional monsters or springing traps. Certain prefixes can benefit from area modifiers (e.g. of Giantsof Giants
15% increased Quantity of Items found in this Area
8% increased Rarity of Items found in this Area
Monsters have 70% increased Area of Effect). It is worth noting that some prefixes add a warning sound to a strongbox as well (see List of strongbox prefix mods for more info).
|Arctic||8||Freezes you when activated|
|Contaminated||8||Releases Caustic Clouds|
|Contested||12||Guarded by a Rogue Exile|
|Frigid||1||Casts Ice Nova|
|Incandescent||1||Ignites you when activated|
|Intimidating||10||Guarded by a pack of Magic Monsters|
|Menacing||35||Guarded by 3 Rare Monsters|
|Putrifying||4||Detonates nearby Corpses|
|Rallying||4||Guarded by a stream of Monsters|
|Reaper's||1||Revives nearby dead Monsters with Onslaught|
|Vibrating||25||Casts Lightning Storm|
|Whispering||15||Casts a random Curse when activated|
Suffixes can alter the loot contents in distinct ways, such as granting additional items or increasing the number of sockets on equipment.
|of Abundance||1||Contains (3 to 8) additional Items (1)|
|of Affluence||8||Contains (1 to 3) additional Rare Items (2)|
|of Ascendance||1||+(1 to 5) Chest level (3)|
|of Augmentation||12||Only contains Support Gems|
|of Bounty||1||(30 to 60)% increased Quantity of Contained Items (4)|
|of Complexity||20||Contained Items have (1 to 2) additional Sockets|
|of Corruption||1||Contains an extra Vaal Gem|
|of Curiosities||4||Contains (1 to 5) additional Magic Items (5)|
|of Facets||40||Contained Gems have Experience|
|of Kalandra||40||Contains Mirrored Items|
|of Quality||1||Contained Items have (1 to 20)% Quality|
|of Singularity||45||Contains an additional Unique Item|
|of Treasures||4||(1000 to 2000)% increased Rarity of Contained Items|
|of Unity||40||Contained Items are fully Linked|
|of Wisdom||1||Contains Identified Items|
|of Prophecy||1||Contains (2 to 4) additional Silver Coins|
|of the Vaal||1||Contains additional Divination Cards that give Corrupted Items|
|of Reward||1||Contains additional Divination Cards that give Currency|
|of Renown||1||Contains additional Divination Cards that give Unique Items|
(1) Contains (1 to 2) additional Items on Cartographer's Strongboxes
(2) Contains 1 additional Rare Item on Cartographer's Strongboxes
(3) +(1 to 3) Chest level on Cartographer's Strongboxes
(4) (30 to 40)% increased Quantity of Contained Items on Cartographer's Strongboxes
(5) Contains 1 additional Magic Item on Cartographer's Strongboxes
Contained Items are fully Linked and Contained Items have (1 to 2) additional Sockets cannot roll together on the same strongbox.
Like most other unique items, it is possible to craft a unique strongbox using an Orb of ChanceOrb of ChanceStack Size: 20Upgrades a normal item to a random rarityRight click this item then left click a normal item to apply it.
Shift click to unstack. on a normal strongbox with the corresponding base type.
|Ashes of the Condemned||Strongbox|
|The Plaguemaw's Offering||Arcanist's Strongbox|
|Weylam's War Chest||Arcanist's Strongbox|
|Kaom's Cache||Armourer's Strongbox|
|Deshret's Storm||Blacksmith's Strongbox|
|Empyrean Apparatus||Cartographer's Strongbox|
|The Maelström Cell||Diviner's Strongbox|
|Perandus Bank||Jeweller's Strongbox|
There are also unique strongboxes that can only be found at the end of certain unique maps.
- Atziri's Vessel: Contains 8 Sacrifice Map Fragments and/or Vaal Skill Gems.
- Grandmaster's Arcanist Cache
- Grandmaster's Cartography Cache
- Grandmaster's Corrupted Cache
- Grandmaster's Gemcutting Cache
- Grandmaster's Large Cache
- Grandmaster's Ornate Cache
- Grandmaster's Treasury
- Grandmaster's Trove
- Chris (March 6, 2014). "1.1.0c Patch Notes (hotfix)". Official Path of Exile Forums. Retrieved March 7, 2014.
- harrytrumanprimate (March 9, 2014). "Strategies for Strongboxes [Discussion][Ambush]". Path of Exile Subreddit. Retrieved April 4, 2014.
- Isarill (November 17, 2016). "Strongbox Data from 60 Monstrous Treasure runs". Path of Exile Subreddit. Retrieved November 17, 2016.
- jddogg (March 10, 2014). "[1MHC] Path of Cartographers...". Path of Exile Subreddit. Retrieved March 10, 2014.
- Mark (June 9, 2016). "Mechanical Question Thread". Official Path of Exile Forums. Retrieved June 9, 2016.
- Seerix (March 6, 2014). "[Ambush] Vaal Orb on strongboxes will corrupt all items inside". Path of Exile Subreddit. Retrieved April 4, 2014.
- Mark_GGG (May 18, 2017). "Mechanical Questions Thread". Official Path of Exile Forums. Retrieved June 12, 2017.
- Mark_GGG (June 10, 2016). "Mechanical Questions Thread". Official Path of Exile Forums. Retrieved June 10, 2016.