Atlas of Worlds
The Atlas of Worlds is a visualization of the dream worlds that are opened by activating maps, how these worlds are linked and the way they progress towards the centre. The Atlas is separated in four quadrants which can be entered through a tier 1 map, one in each corner of the Atlas. These tier 1 maps start dropping in Act 8. When the player progresses through the maps, their tiers - and difficulty - will increase.
The Atlas also displays areas influenced by the Shaper and the Elder, which have a chance to drop Shaper or Elder items which can roll affixed not found in normal items. When the Elder zone grows large enough, 5 maps in the Elder-influenced area will have the Elder and the Elder Guardians replacing the bosses.
All maps, both base maps and unique maps, are located on the Atlas of Worlds. Map drops are not completely random; instead a specific tier is chosen first and the map type is chosen from pool of maps completed for that tier or connected to the map the player is currently playing. 
Each completed map base type also gives a 1% chance to upgrade the tier of a map, with values over 100% giving a chance to increase the tier a second time. The maximum map tier however can not bypass drop restrictions, even if it would have been upgraded.
For example, a rare monster in a tier 6 map with 125% completion bonus:
- a rare monster can drop +1 maps, as such it can drop tier 1 to 7 maps
- it will only drop maps that are adjacent or already unlocked on the atlas
- a tier 5 drop would be upgraded to tier 6, with a 25% chance to be upgraded to tier 7
- a tier 6 drop would be upgraded to tier 7, but can't be upgraded any further
- a tier 7 is already the highest possible drop, and can't be upgraded any further
Untainted ParadiseUntainted Paradise
Tropical Island MapMap Level: 76
Map Tier: 9Area has increased monster variety
Area is inhabited by wild Animals
Monsters drop no items
(300-400)% increased Experience gainFor this beauty,
beauty without strength,
chokes out life.Travel to this Map by using it in the Templar Laboratory or a personal Map Device. Maps can only be used once. and The Beachhead do not count towards Atlas completion.
Atlas objectives are displayed on the Atlas as icons over a map. Maps with an Atlas objective will guarantee a master of the respective icon will spawn in that map. Objectives can appear on any non-unique map, but will favour completed maps or maps adjacent to completed maps. An Atlas objective will spawn 20% of the time after completing a map for a random master. They spawn in a map of a tier close to the last map you completed.
Atlas objectives reset every Midnight UTC.
Initially, A random map on the Atlas will be Shaper influenced as part of the Epilogue quest, starting from Tier 1. Completing one will move the area to another map one tier higher up until Tier 6, where Shaper and Elder influenced areas will start spawning normally.
Shaper influenced areas can contain additional enemies or hazards or enhances the map boss by the Shaper, making them more difficult. These areas have a chance to drop a rare Shaper item with at least one Shaper affix. Once a Shaper-influenced map is cleared, it will disappear. New influenced areas have a chance to appear when you complete a map on your atlas (i.e. killing the boss) or when you clear Shaper or Elder-influenced areas (by killing the boss or >60% of the monsters in the map). This can cause old areas to become uninfluenced. New areas are much more likely to spawn on or adjacent to Elder-influenced maps, but can only replace Elder-influenced if a map adjacent to it was previously Shaper-influenced.
Elder-influenced areas, like Shaper-influenced areas, can contain additional enemies or hazards. these areas can drop rare Elder items with at least one Elder affix. The Elder-influenced area has a chance to expand to non-influenced areas when you complete a map, but will not grow if a Shaper-influenced area is in the way. Clearing Shaper-influenced areas next to an Elder-influenced area will cause that map to become Elder-influenced. Unlike Shaper-influenced areas, Elder-influenced areas must be connected together. Clearing an Elder-influenced area that severs a connection between parts will cause you to lose influence on all but the largest connected section. Connections can also be severed when Shaper-influence replaces Elder-influence (see above).
When the area of influence grows large enough which is around 15 maps above, 5 random maps in the area will have the Elder or an Elder Guardian replace the map's boss. You must defeat all four Elder Guardians before you can fight the Elder. These areas will not change until the corresponding map is cleared. After clearing 20 maps while the Elder is residing in the Atlas, there is a chance for the Elder and his guardians to leave the map they are influencing.
Elder-influenced areas can only have 30 on the Atlas at most.
Elder-influenced areas can also contain a Memory Fragment, which can be traded in to Zana for a Shaper's Orb. One of ten Memory Fragments can be found in each of Tier 6 to 15 Elder-influenced maps, and the remaining five Memory Fragments can be obtained by defeating each of the four Elder Guardians and the Elder when the Elder is located in a red tier map (the Elder Guardians need not necessarily be in a red tier map themselves).
After finding your first Memory Fragment, Shaper's Strongholds will begin spawning on the Atlas. A map that contains a Shaper's Stronghold will be permanently Shaper-influenced until cleared and blocks off Elder-influence. They contain multiple Shaper-influenced zone mods and give additional items when cleared, such as sextants, Orbs of Horizons, Cartographer's Chisels, Shaper rares, and unique items, which also can be league-specific. Clearing a Shaper's Stronghold will not spread Elder-influence to it.
Four Shaper's Strongholds will initially be spawned on the Atlas on yellow-tier maps. Clearing one of them will relocate it to another red-tier map. After all 8 Strongholds are cleared, they will have a chance to spawn periodically.
Strongholds are removed when the Uber Elder is defeated along with all other influence.
- Shaper's Orbs are awarded for completing an Elder-influenced map that contains a Memory Fragment. They can be used to upgrade a map into a "Shaped" map to drop which are 5 tiers higher than their regular counterpart
- Cartographer's Sextants allow applying a special modifier to map, which applies its stats in a radius to other nearby maps. Those stats can be stacked, but a mod is used up after 3 uses 
- Unshaping OrbUnshaping OrbStack Size: 10Downgrades a map on the AtlasRight click this item then left click a shaped map on the atlas to downgrade it. You can then earn the Shaper's Orb again to reshape another map afterwards.
Shift click to unstack.s can be used to unshape a map.
- Cartographer's Seals "uncomplete" a map.
Shaper's Orbs are used to upgrade lower tier maps whose layout or bosses a player may find accessible but whose drops and experience gains wouldn't otherwise be attractive. A Shaper's Orb grants +5 to the tier of those maps, i.e. increases the difficulty. The result is a shaped map.
Players acquire Shaper's Orbs by collecting Memory Fragments and giving them to Zana. Memory Fragments are found by killing the bosses of Elder-influenced maps circled in blue on the Atlas.
One Elder's OrbElder's OrbUpgrades any map on the Atlas to Tier 16Right click this item then left click on a map on the Atlas to upgrade it to tier 16. can be obtained from the Epilogue quest after collecting all 15 Memory Fragments and defeating the Shaper. It upgrades a map of any tier into a tier 16 map.
End of league transfer
The merge has the following rules:
- Maps or bonus objectives completed transferred to the parent league
- Cartographer's Sextant mods:
- They will be moved to the parent league; if the map already has a mod, the parent league mods will be kept
- Legacy modifiers continue to exist and work as long they have not been overridden
- Shaped maps will carry over if the equivalent level Shaper's Orb hasn't been used on parent league; if you already shaped a map of the tier the parent league takes preference
- Shaper's Orbs:
Atlas exclusive base items
The Atlas introduced in Betrayal expansion with all maps completed.
The Atlas introduced in War for the Atlas expansion with all maps completed.
The Atlas introduced in Atlas of Worlds expansion with all maps completed.
- Masterseek (August 13, 2016). "Path of Exile: Atlas of Worlds Interview. A Map of Condensed Hype.". 2p.com. Retrieved August 13, 2016.
- Chris (August 29, 2016). "Forum - Development Manifesto - Cumulative Atlas Completion Bonus - Path of Exile". Grinding Gear Games. Retrieved August 29, 2016.
- Negitivefrags (November 12, 2016). "[Question]What happens to the atlas and the sextant mods when essence gets transferred to standard?". Reddit. Retrieved January 25, 2017.