Gamepedia was upgraded to MediaWiki version 1.31 on Wednesday November 14th. To learn more about the upgrade and its effects click here.
Mana Cost: (4-10)
Cast Time: 0.50 secRequires Level 12Unleash a beam of fire that burns enemies it touches, and decreases their fire resistance. Remaining in the beam intensifies the burning, adding a portion of the beam's damage in stages. Enemies who leave the beam continue to burn for a duration. Increasing cast speed also increases the rate at which the beam can turn.Per 1% Quality:
0.5% increased beam lengthDeals (8.2-388.3) Base Fire Damage per second
Base duration is 1.5 seconds
Additional Debuff stages add 60% of Damage
Burning Debuff can have a maximum of 8 stages
Debuff applies -3% Fire Resistance per stage
Total Fire Resistance penalty from all Beams cannot exceed -24%
Modifiers to Spell Damage apply to this Skill's Damage Over Time effectPlace into an item socket of the right colour to gain this skill. Right click to remove from a socket.Acquisition
Level: 12Purchase Costs
|Normal||1x Orb of Transmutation|
1x Scroll FragmentMiscellaneous
Item class: Active Skill Gems
Metadata ID: Metadata/Items/Gems/SkillGemFireBeam
Skill functions and interactions
- Scorching ray applies a stacking debuff on enemies which deals fire damage over time, causes enemies to lose 3% fire resist per stack, and causes Scorching Ray to deal an additional 60% damage per stack to the target for each stack past the first. This effect stacks up to a total of 8 times on an enemy for a total of 24% reduced fire resistance and a total damage multiplier of 420% more damage at maximum stacks. The damage over time portion of the debuff does not increase with additional stacks, but does stack with scorching ray debuffs from other sources(totems or players). The duration of any debuff stack applied by Scorching Ray on the target is refreshed upon applying a subsequent debuff stack. The rate at which the debuff is applied is determined by the base cast speed of the skill and can be modified by cast speed. The debuff is applied to an enemy monster and increases the damage they take from scorching Ray, it does not increase the damage it deals to other targets.
- While multiple burning damage effects from Scorching Ray may be applied (either by multiple players or via multiple totems), the maximum total fire resistance reduction on a monster from all instances cannot exceed 24%.
- Touching an unaffected target by the beam at any point during a cast interval will apply the first stage of the debuff. If the target remains in the beam, the spell will apply the next stage of the debuff the instant it consumes mana from the player again. As a result, It is possible to inflict multiple debuff stacks in quick succession to targets with only brief contact such as when sweeping the beam across the screen.
- Damage over time: Modifiers to Spell, Fire, Elemental, Burning Damage, Damage Over Time, and duration affect the damage over time component of this spell.
- Scorching Ray does not hit and therefore cannot be supported by added damage supports such as Added Chaos Damage SupportAdded Chaos Damage SupportChaos, Support
Mana Multiplier: 130%Requires Level 31Supports any skill that hits enemies.Per 1% Quality:
Supported Skills deal 0.5% increased Chaos DamageSupported Skills have (17-170) to (26-255) added Chaos DamageThis is a Support Gem. It does not grant a bonus to your character, but to skills in sockets connected to it. Place into an item socket connected to a socket containing the Active Skill Gem you wish to augment. Right click to remove from a socket. and cannot confer the effects of supports such as Blind SupportBlind SupportSupport
Icon: xRequires Level 8Supports any skill that hits enemies.Per 1% Quality:
Supported Skills have 1% increased Blinding durationSupported Skills have 10% chance to Blind enemies on hit
Supported Skills have (0-38)% increased Blinding durationThis is a Support Gem. It does not grant a bonus to your character, but to skills in sockets connected to it. Place into an item socket connected to a socket containing the Active Skill Gem you wish to augment. Right click to remove from a socket. or Curse On Hit SupportCurse On Hit SupportCurse, Trigger, Support
Icon: &Requires Level 38Must support both a skill that hits enemies, and a curse skill to work. The curse will be applied when enemies are hit by the other skill. Cannot support totems, traps, or mines. Minions cannot apply curses this way.Per 1% Quality:
0.5% increased Effect of Supported CursesSupported Skills apply supported Curses on Hit
Supported Skills have (50-12)% reduced Curse Duration
You cannot Cast Supported CursesThis is a Support Gem. It does not grant a bonus to your character, but to skills in sockets connected to it. Place into an item socket connected to a socket containing the Active Skill Gem you wish to augment. Right click to remove from a socket..
- While channeling Scorching Ray, the player has a reduced turning rate. Increasing scorching ray's cast speed will increase the rate at which the player can rotate while channeling it, up to a maximum +150% increased cast speed modifier.
- Scorching Ray has a delay, equal to the cast time, between the pressing of the skill and the appearance of the beam.
- Scorching Ray is not a projectile or an area of effect skill and therefore is not affected by modifiers to projectile damage, area damage, projectile speed, or area of effect.
- Scorching Ray has the channelling tag and therefore cannot be supported by Spell Echo SupportSpell Echo SupportSpell, Support
Mana Multiplier: 140%Requires Level 38Supports spell skills, making them repeat when cast. Cannot support Vaal skills, totem skills, channelling skills, triggered skills, instant skills, or skills which reserve mana.Per 1% Quality:
Supported Skills deal 0.5% increased Spell DamageSupported Skills Repeat an additional time
Supported Skills have (51-70)% more Cast Speed
Supported Skills deal 10% less DamageThis is a Support Gem. It does not grant a bonus to your character, but to skills in sockets connected to it. Place into an item socket connected to a socket containing the Active Skill Gem you wish to augment. Right click to remove from a socket..
- See Channelling for more information.
Gem level progression
This item is given as quest reward for the following quests:
|The Siren's Cadence|
This item can be bought at the listed npc vendors after completing the following quests:
|The Siren's Cadence|
|A Fixture of Fate|
|Fallen from Grace|
Related helmet enchantments
The following helmet enchantments affect Scorching Ray.
|EnchantmentFireBeamCastSpeed1||66||8% increased Scorching Ray Cast Speed|
|EnchantmentFireBeamCastSpeed2||75||12% increased Scorching Ray Cast Speed|
|EnchantmentFireBeamDamage1||66||25% increased Scorching Ray Damage|
|EnchantmentFireBeamDamage2||75||40% increased Scorching Ray Damage|
|EnchantmentFireBeamLength1||66||10% increased Scorching Ray beam length|
|EnchantmentFireBeamLength2||75||15% increased Scorching Ray beam length|
The list below shows microtransactions for Scorching Ray.
|Radiant Scorching Ray Effect|
Radiant Scorching Ray EffectScorching Ray SkinYour Scorching Ray becomes a Radiant effect.
|Your Scorching Ray becomes a Radiant effect.|
|Shaper Scorching Ray Effect|
Shaper Scorching Ray EffectScorching Ray SkinYour Scorching Ray becomes a Shaper Effect.
|Your Scorching Ray becomes a Shaper Effect.|
|Stygian Scorching Ray Effect|
Stygian Scorching Ray EffectScorching Ray SkinYour Scorching Ray becomes a Stygian Effect.
|Your Scorching Ray becomes a Stygian Effect.|
- Bex_GGG (November 17, 2016). "Scorching Ray Debuff Mechanics". Path of Exile Official Subreddit. Retrieved November 17, 2016.
- Bex_GGG (November 21, 2016). "Recently Asked Community Questions". Path of Exile Forums. Retrieved November 21, 2016.
- Bex_GGG (November 1, 2016). "Scorching Ray Skill Gem Mechanics". Official Path of Exile Forums. Retrieved November 3, 2016.