Plaques are environmental lore objects founds in The Grand Arena. They tell of Daresso's youth and his love for Merveil.
- At age thirteen, carving knife in hand, I killed beasts for the amusement of the filthy. At fifteen, they thought me worthy to fight a fellow man.
- A butcher he was, twice as big and twice as stupid as I. I butchered the butcher and many like him, earned my way, kill by kill, out of the offal pit and into the Grand Arena.
- I thought I would find wealth and glory in the arena. I was wrong. I found something far more precious. My Lady Merveil.
- I knelt in the sand of the Grand Arena, awaiting the killing blow. I raised my eyes to look upon my death.
- Instead, I saw her. Merveil. Her beautiful eyes met mine, and I knew that she saw me too. I turned my opponent's strike and killed the man with his own dagger.
- Fighting had always been about survival. The primal instinct to kill or be killed. Now the fight became about something else. Love.
- The previous King of Swords was a giant of a man, both faster and stronger than I. Yet I needed only look up at my Lady Merveil to know that I had no choice. I could not die this day.
- I made him shiver under every parry, striking with all my might, so that my arms felt they might snap with every impact. All the while, I studied his face, watching for that moment when he began to doubt. It took an hour, but finally it was there.
- Burning with pain, empty with exhaustion, I stepped inside his faltering swing and I slit the giant's throat.
- I did not take my victory bow. I knelt in the sand, looked to Merveil, and cried out for my Lady's hand in marriage.
- From that day forth, I wore the Crown of Swords upon my head and a ring of eternal love upon my finger.