Leagues in Path of Exile represent the game worlds that characters exist within. A single character can only belong to one league at any time, and can't interact with characters outside that league.
These four leagues exist permanently:
- Standard is the default league and has no modifiers.
- Hardcore has the hardcore modifier, meaning characters who die are moved to Standard. Hardcore is equivalent to permadeath in other RPGs, though characters and items are not automatically deleted.
In addition to standard and hardcore, a Solo Self-Found variant for each exists. In these leagues, player's can't trade or party with other players and have to rely solely on the items they find themselves.
- SSF Standard is the default league with the SSF flag
- SSF Hardcore has the hardcore and SSF flags
Characters used in certain races (notably Descent, Descent: Champions and Endless Ledge races) are afterwards sent to a Void League instead of being deleted. Players can't access these characters or their inventories; void characters can only be deleted or kept as a sort of trophy.
Temporary leagues have a set duration, which can vary from 12 minutes to four months. They are usually defined by specific modifiers or features that the permanent leagues don't have. When a league ends, the characters are not lost but transferred to one of the permanent leagues.
Periodically, two new leagues are created and the previous two challenge leagues are removed. These leagues are intended to introduce and test new content while providing players with a fresh economy. Challenge leagues have been three or four months long. In addition, each pair of leagues has a set of optional challenges that can be completed for a prize.
When a challenge league ends, all characters and their stash will be sent to their respective parent league (either Standard league or Hardcore League). Map progress will be transferred, along with Shaped maps and Sextants. The greater of Master's level will be retained, and accrued favour will be added to the existing total.
The Delve leagues are the current challenge leagues. They started on August 31, 2018.
- The Incursion league ran from June 1, 2018 to August 27, 2018.
- The Bestiary league ran from March 2, 2018 to May 28, 2018.
- The Abyss league ran from December 8, 2017 to February 26, 2018, launched alongside War for the Atlas expansion.
- The Harbinger league ran from August 4, 2017 to November 27, 2017, launched alongside The Fall of Oriath expansion.
- The Legacy league ran from March 3, 2017 to July 31, 2017.
- The Breach league ran from December 2, 2016 to February 27, 2017.
- The Essence league ran from September 2, 2016 to November 28, 2016, launched alongside Atlas of Worlds expansion.
- The Prophecy league ran from June 3, 2016 to August 29, 2016.
- The Perandus league ran from March 4, 2016 to May 30, 2016, launched alongside Ascendancy expansion.
- The Talisman league ran from December 11, 2015 to March 4, 2016.
- The Warbands league and Tempest league ran from July 10, 2015 to October 2, 2015, launched alongside The Awakening expansion.
- The Torment league and Bloodlines league ran from December 12, 2014 to March 24, 2015.
- The Rampage league and Beyond league ran from August 20, 2014 to November 20, 2014, launched alongside Forsaken Masters expansion.
- The Ambush league and Invasion league ran from March 5, 2014 to July 5, 2014, launched alongside Sacrifice of the Vaal expansion.
- The Domination league and Nemesis league ran from October 23, 2013 to February 23, 2014.
- The Anarchy league and Onslaught league ran from June 8, 2013 to October 8, 2013.
Race leagues are temporary leagues created specifically for a single race event.
These leagues have their own stash. At the end of the event, characters and their stashed items will be moved to the parent league, which is typically Hardcore or Void league. The player's race stash may be placed in remove-only stash tabs if the parent league has no empty tabs. A list of race modifiers is here.
- Chris (September 23, 2013). "What's happening when Anarchy/Onslaught leagues end?". Official Path of Exile Forums. Retrieved Oct 7, 2013.