High Templar Avarius
|High Templar Avarius|
|Location(s)||The Chamber of Innocence|
|Quest(s)||Death to Purity|
High Templar Avarius is a unique boss located in the Chamber of Innocence. Upon defeating him, Innocence awakens.
After Dominus died, Avarius took his place into the Court of Divine Temperance as the High Templar that commands the Ebony Legion. His rise to power is suggested to have been made possible by the powers he acquired after becoming the living vessel for Innocence, one of the old Gods awakened by the death of The Beast.
Defeating Avarius and Innocence is part of the quest Death to Purity.
Avarius represents a significant paradigm shift in how boss fights occur in Path of Exile: Unlike most such enemies encountered in Act I through Act IV, High Templar Avarius and his subsequent form, Innocence, are capable of inflicting massive amounts of elemental damage through specific attacks. Withstanding said attacks is simply not viable for most characters coursing normally through the game, as even capped resistances will not ensure the player's survival when hit by the boss' most devastating abilities.
Instead, the player should focus on dodging these attacks while dishing out as much damage as possible in order to shorten the fight. Movement skills can greatly help when trying to accomplish this while adequate defenses, such as capped resistances combined with high eHP pool, should provide a slight safety net.
A full breakdown of Avarius moveset is presented in the embedded video. The following attacks are examples that highlight Avarius/Innocence lethality:
- I Am The Torch: Similar to Piety's beam and Malachai's tentacles, this move is used by Avarius exclusively in his second form and consists of a linear ray released continuously by the boss shortly after enunciating the titular phrase. Its damage increases the longer the player character is hit by it and also inflicts the Burning ailment. This move can be circumvented either by circling around Innocence or hiding behind the soldier statues present throughout the area.
- I Am Your God: After its announcement, Avarius/Innocence will release an energy sphere which, after traveling a short distance, will split itself into several projectiles (ala "bullet hell" style). Said projectiles deal very high damage even individually and should be avoided by standing far away from the initial sphere ("one-shot kill") , as this will allow them to further spread and be more easily dodged. Additionally, the soldier statues will also block any projectiles in their trajectory. Can be used in both forms.
- Another tactic is to use Phase Run when he does the bullet-hell move and the torch/"laser beam" move to phase through them and avoid damage.
- Minion Spawn: Not as hazardous as the previous examples, but still dangerous - Avarius/Innocence will continuously spawn flaming minions to fight in his stead over a set duration. They can be either fought in order to regain flask charges or safely avoided until Avarius/Innocence resumes the fight.
- Holy Bomb/Napalm: Avarius/Innocence will randomly cast a symbol on the floor (usually where you are standing) after 3 seconds he will detonate it and if you're still there. You're dead. Run away as fast as you can.
The following divination cards can drop from this monster: