The Elder Guardians are the four map bosses of the War for the Atlas storyline. They are the guardians of the The Elder.
Each Elder Guardian is faced in one of three randomly chosen arenas, which contain different environmental hazards. In Tiers 6 to 11 maps, at 1/2 health you will be teleported to another arena with different stage hazards, and the same applies for Tier 11+ maps at 2/3 and 1/3. [confirmation needed because of 3.9.0 changes]
Upon slaying the boss, they would drop a Map fragment. Open a complete set of fragments in the map device can open portals to fight either the Elder or the harder version Uber Elder.
- All guardians replace the map boss when entering the boss arena or area.
- Fixed a bug where Zana missions could offer Elder Guardian Maps earlier than intended. The minimum tier before these maps are offered by Zana missions is now 14.
- The Atlas of Worlds has been reworked. You now start at the centre and will work your way outwards as you explore a new storyline.
- The Shaper and Elder storyline is gone and has been replaced by a story that takes place in the aftermath of the old story.
- Zana can now sell Shaper- and Elder-influenced maps once you have progressed your Atlas enough. These act like the old Atlas influence, creating new monsters, threats, and rewards.
- The Elder, Shaper, and combined Elder and Shaper encounters can still be accessed. If you're lucky, Zana may offer a Shaper or Elder guardian's map!
- Elder Guardians are no longer in a separate instance to that of their map.