Order of operations
The list below displays the order of operations when an attacker attempts to damage a defender:
- Initial damage
Damage sources have a base damage that can be increased by various stats. Stats are only applied once per calculation.
- Flat damage
- Damage conversion
- Added as modifiers adds a percentage of one damage type as another damage type, for example Gain #% of Physical Damage as Extra Cold Damage during effect or You and nearby allies add #% of your Physical Damage as Cold Damage.
- Converted to modifiers changes one type of damage into another, for example #% of Cold Damage Converted to Fire Damage.
Converted damage can take benefit of bonuses for the damage type it was before and what it converted into.
Hits can be rolled as a critical strike which multiplies the damage by 150% by default.
Incoming, damaging hits can be shifted to another damage type. It is usually done by utilizing an item which offers the #% of X Damage taken as Y modifier, for example:
- Lightning CoilLightning Coil
Desert BrigandineQuality: +20%
Evasion: (789-902)Requires Level 60, 96 Str, 96 Dex3% reduced Movement Speed (Hidden)Adds 1 to (20-30) Lightning Damage to Attacks
(90-120)% increased Armour and Evasion
+(60-80) to maximum Life
-60% to Lightning Resistance
30% of Physical Damage from Hits taken as Lightning Damage"There's nothing like imminent death
to galvanize one's purpose in life."
- Malachai the Soulless.
- Cloak of FlameCloak of Flame
Scholar's RobeQuality: +20%
Energy Shield: 46Requires Level 18, 55 Int3% reduced Movement Speed (Hidden)+(30-50)% to Fire Resistance
(30-50)% increased Ignite Duration on Enemies
10% chance to Ignite
Reflects 15 Fire Damage to Melee Attackers
20% of Physical Damage from Hits taken as Fire DamageHe who sows an ember shall reap an inferno.
- Incandescent HeartIncandescent Heart
Saintly ChainmailQuality: +20%
Energy Shield: (309-327)Requires Level 70, 99 Str, 115 Int5% reduced Movement Speed (Hidden)(220-240)% increased Armour and Energy Shield
+(80-90) to maximum Life
(0.8-1)% of Attack Damage Leeched as Life
Gain (10-20)% of Elemental Damage as Extra Chaos Damage
25% of Elemental Damage from Hits taken as Chaos Damage
(20-30)% increased Light Radius
Light Radius is based on Energy Shield instead of LifeOnly light may banish the shadows from this land
And the black lies wrapped around your heart
- Damage can be avoided, for example with GlitterdiscGlitterdisc
Burnished Spiked ShieldQuality: +20%
Chance to Block: 26%
Energy Shield: (79-111)Requires Level 27, 37 Dex, 37 Int4% chance to Dodge Attack Hits
3% reduced Movement Speed (Hidden)(120-140)% increased Evasion and Energy Shield
+(30-50) to maximum Life
+(20-30) to maximum Energy Shield
10% increased Rarity of Items found
25% chance to Avoid Fire Damage when Hit
You always Ignite while BurningIzaro's insistence on using lava
resulted in some surprising material discoveries.. Avoiding damage stops the damage of a hit. It still counts as a hit, even if it only is 0 damage.
- Elemental and chaos damage is mitigated by its respective resistance.
- Physical damage is mitigated by the sum of all #% additional Physical Damage Reduction modifiers, up to its 90% cap. These modifiers can be calculated from:
- Armour, which grants damage reduction relative to how much Armour you have compared to the initial physical damage hit.
- Other sources of flat physical damage reduction, such as:
- Endurance charges
- Basalt FlaskBasalt FlaskLasts 4.50 Seconds
Consumes 40 of 60 Charges on use
15% additional Physical Damage Reduction
20% of Melee Physical Damage taken reflected to AttackerRequires Level 40Right click to drink. Can only hold charges while in belt. Refills as you kill monsters.
- Soul of Steel
After damage mitigation, modifiers to damage taken are applied. Flat amounts are applied first, then the sum of all increases/reductions and lastly with more/less multipliers applied separately:
|1||±# X Damage taken from Y||AshrendAshrend|
Buckskin TunicQuality: +20%
Evasion: (352-387)Requires Level 17, 53 Dex3% reduced Movement Speed (Hidden)Socketed Gems are Supported by Level 10 Added Fire Damage
(80-100)% increased Evasion Rating
+(30-50) to maximum Life
+(40-50)% to Fire Resistance
Cannot be Ignited
(10-15)% increased Physical Damage with Ranged Weapons
-(7-5) Physical Damage taken from AttacksThe blasted oak stands forever.
Plate VestQuality: +20%
Armour: 22Requires 12 Str3% reduced Movement Speed (Hidden)Adds 2 to 4 Physical Damage to Attacks
+(12-20) to maximum Life
-2 Physical Damage taken from Attacks
40% of Melee Physical Damage taken reflected to AttackerIt is safer to be feared than to be loved.
Onyx AmuletRequires Level 20+(10-16) to all Attributes+(80-100) to all Attributes
-4 Physical Damage taken from AttacksMindless rage will shake the world,
Cunning lies will bend it.
Reckless haste will break the world,
And into darkness send it.
|2||#% increased/reduced X Damage taken||Shock |
VulnerabilityVulnerabilityCurse, Spell, AoE, Duration
Mana Cost: (24-50)
Cast Time: 0.50 secRequires Level 24Curse all targets in an area, causing them to take increased physical damage and further increased physical damage over time. Attacks against cursed enemies have a chance to inflict bleeding and maim.Per 1% Quality:
Cursed Enemies have 0.5% chance to Bleed when Hit by AttacksBase duration is (9-10.9) seconds
Cursed enemies take (30-39)% increased Physical Damage
Cursed Enemies have 20% chance to Bleed when Hit by Attacks
Cursed Enemies have 20% chance to be Maimed for 4 seconds when Hit by Attacks
Cursed enemies take 30% increased Physical Damage from Damage over time
+(0-10) to radiusPlace into an item socket of the right colour to gain this skill. Right click to remove from a socket.
Ezomyte BurgonetQuality: +20%
Armour: (761-830)Requires Level 60, 138 StrAdds 40 to 60 Physical Damage to Attacks
+(20-25) to all Attributes
+(100-125)% to Melee Critical Strike Multiplier
(100-120)% increased Armour
(40-50)% increased Physical Damage takenWhen you have slain all of your enemies,
what is left to fear?
|3||#% more/less X Damage taken||Arctic ArmourArctic ArmourSpell, Duration, Cold|
Mana Reserved: 25%
Can Store 1 Use(s)
Cooldown Time: 1.00 secRequires Level 16Conjures an icy barrier that chills enemies when they hit you. You drop chilled ground while moving, and take less Fire and Physical damage while stationary.Per 1% Quality:
1% increased Skill Effect DurationChill Enemy for 0.5 seconds when Hit, reducing their Action Speed by 30%
(8-13)% less Physical Damage taken when Hit
(8-12)% less Fire Damage taken when Hit
Base duration is (2.5-4.4) secondsPlace into an item socket of the right colour to gain this skill. Right click to remove from a socket.
Exquisite LeatherQuality: +20%
Evasion: (1548-1689)Requires Level 62, 170 Dex3% reduced Movement Speed (Hidden)(100-120)% increased Evasion Rating
+(60-80) to maximum Life
+30% to Fire Resistance
20% less Damage taken if you have not been Hit Recently
50% increased Evasion Rating if you have been Hit RecentlyDo not hide your flaws, your cracks,
mend them, and display them proudly.
For it is these that set us apart.
Storm Barrier SupportStorm Barrier SupportLightning, Support, Channelling
Mana Multiplier: 110%Requires Level 4Supports any channelling skill, protecting you from damage while you channel it. Cannot support Minions that channel skills.Per 1% Quality:
1% chance to Gain a Power Charge when hit while Channelling Supported Skills
0% less Lightning Damage taken from Hits while Channelling Supported Skills
0% less Physical Damage taken from Hits while Channelling Supported Skills(50-69)% chance to Gain a Power Charge when hit while Channelling Supported Skills
(8-12)% less Lightning Damage taken from Hits while Channelling Supported Skills
(8-13)% less Physical Damage taken from Hits while Channelling Supported SkillsThis is a Support Gem. It does not grant a bonus to your character, but to skills in sockets connected to it. Place into an item socket connected to a socket containing the Active Skill Gem you wish to augment. Right click to remove from a socket.
- Non-chaos damage damages energy shield protecting life until it's depleted, by default.
- For Mind over Matter users, #% of the remaining damage is removed from mana. Mind over Matter only applies if the hit is damaging life.
Damage over Time generally follows the same principle, however this damage source doesn't hit which means that it ignores evasion, damage shifts, armour and other mechanics that requires a hit. Other sources of physical damage reduction will apply as usual though. As for damage taken step, modifiers that generally affect Damage taken or Damage taken from Damage over Time will apply, but Damage taken from Hits won't.
If a damage roll is unlucky, the damage calculation will be rolled twice and the lower value will be chosen. Rolls to crit/evade/dodge/block are unchanged and only happen once. This can effectively reduce damage by up to one third if the damage has a very low minimum, with the benefit decreasing rapidly: Damage with minimum at half the maximum will only be reduced by one ninth. Currently unlucky is only found on the unique ring Lori's LanternLori's Lantern
Prismatic RingRequires Level 30+(8-10)% to all Elemental Resistances+10% to all Elemental Resistances
(6-8)% increased Movement Speed when on Low Life
31% increased Light Radius
+(20-25)% to Chaos Resistance when on Low Life
Damage from Enemies Hitting you is Unlucky while you are on Low LifeBy its light, Lori led her young charges to safety
and bound up their wounds.
Her sword arm was iron, yet her heart gentle
and proof against hate. and the "of Miring" map suffix.
- EHP Calculator - Calculates the effective HP value based on which defenses are used. Make sure to check the source for errors and out of date values.
- Mark_GGG (February 22, 2015). "Elemental To Physical Conversion". Path of Exile Forums. Retrieved March 18, 2016.
- Mark_GGG (November 27, 2013). "Avatar of Fire ~ Elemental Damage Nodes". Path of Exile Forums. Retrieved March 2, 2016.
- Daniel_GGG (January 2, 2014). "reflect mechanics VS evasion,blocking,acrobatics". Official Path of Exile Forums. Retrieved November 21, 2015.
- Mark_GGG (September 26, 2013). "Specifics on Lightning Coil mechanics?". Official Path of Exile Forums. Retrieved November 21, 2015.
- Mark_GGG (June 22, 2016). "Mechanical Questions Thread". Path of Exile Forums. Retrieved June 22, 2016.
- Malice (November 14, 2011). "Mechanics thread". Official Path of Exile Forums. Retrieved November 22, 2015.
- Mark_GGG (May 15, 2014). "defensive mechanisms activate in which order?". Official Path of Exile Forums. Retrieved May 15, 2014.
- Mark_GGG (May 13, 2013 4:01 AM). "p/c new ring lori's lantern". Path of Exile Forum. Retrieved September 22, 2013.