A large portion of relevant modules/templates have now been switched to cargo. Various usages of SMW throughout the wiki need to be replaced by the new functions, in particular item tables. If some pages do not show up but contain no errors, please null-edit them. To see how you can help with the port check out Path_of_Exile_Wiki:To-do_list/SMW_migration (and leave a comment on the talk page if you have questions).
Atlas of Worlds
The Atlas of Worlds is a visualisation of the dream worlds that are opened by activating maps, how these worlds are linked and the way they progress towards the centre. The Atlas is separated in four quadrants which can be entered through a tier 1 map, one in each corner of the Atlas. These tier 1 maps start dropping in Act 8. When the player progresses through the maps, their tiers - and difficulty - will increase.
The Atlas also displays areas influenced by the Shaper and the Elder, which have a chance to drop Shaper or Elder items which have their own unique affixes. When the Elder zone grows large enough, 5 maps in the Elder-influenced area will have the Elder and the Elder Guardians replacing the bosses.
All maps, both base maps and unique maps, are located on the Atlas of Worlds. Map drops are not completely random; instead a specific tier is chosen first and the map type is chosen from pool of maps completed for that tier or connected to the map the player is currently playing. 
Each completed map base type also gives a 1% chance to upgrade the tier of a map, with values over 100% giving a chance to increase the tier a second time. The maximum map tier however can not bypass drop restrictions, even if it would have been upgraded.
For example, a rare monster in a tier 6 map with 125% completion bonus:
- a rare monster can drop +1 maps, as such it can drop tier 1 to 7 maps
- it will only drop maps that are adjacent or already unlocked on the atlas
- a tier 5 drop would be upgraded to tier 6, with a 25% chance to be upgraded to tier 7
- a tier 6 drop would be upgraded to tier 7, but can't be upgraded any further
- a tier 7 is already the highest possible drop, and can't be upgraded any further
Module Error: Item link: Too many results for search parameter "Untainted Paradise". Consider using page parameter instead., Module Error: Item link: Too many results for search parameter "The Perandus Manor". Consider using page parameter instead., and The Beachhead do not count towards Atlas completion.
Initially, Shaper influenced maps will appear on the Atlas, marked with a cosmic background surrounding the map. Shaper influenced areas can contain additional enemies or the boss becomes enhanced by the Shaper, making them more difficult. These areas have a chance to drop a Shaped rare item, which can contain modifiers not found in regular crafted items. Once a Shaper-influenced map is cleared, it will disappear. New influenced areas will appear over time and old areas can disappear.
Elder-influenced areas start appearing after clearing a Tier 6+ Shaper-influenced map. Like Shaper-influenced areas, these areas can drop Elder items with their own unique set of modifiers. The Elder-influenced area will expand as maps are cleared, but will stop growing if a Shaper-influenced area is in the way. Clearing the Shaper-influenced area that's blocking the way will allow the Elder-influenced area to continually grow. When the area of influence grows large enough, 5 random maps in the area will have the Elder or an Elder Guardian replace the map's boss. You must defeat all four Elder Guardians before you can fight the Elder. These areas will not change until the corresponding map is cleared.
- Shaper's Orbs are awarded for completing an Elder-influenced map that contains a Memory Fragment. They can be used to upgrade a map into a "Shaped" map to drop which are 5 tiers higher than their regular counterpart
- Cartographer's Sextants allow applying a special modifier to map, which applies its stats in a radius to other nearby maps. Those stats can be stacked, but a mod is used up after 3 uses 
- Unshaping Orbs can be used to unshape a map.
- Cartographer's Seals "uncomplete" a map.
Obtaining Shaper's Orbs
Spending Shaper's Orbs
Shaper's Orbs are used to upgrade lower tier maps whose layout or bosses a player may find accessible but whose drops and experience gains wouldn't otherwise be attractive. A Shaper's Orb grants +5 to the tier of those maps, i.e. increases the difficulty. Subsequently that increases the experience gained from slain monsters and item level of their drops. Note that Shaper's Orbs don't add Increased Item Rarity or Increased Item Quantity to that map. Unique maps can't be shaped.
Shaping a map can be undone using an Unshaping OrbUnshaping OrbStack Size: 10Downgrades a map on the AtlasRight click this item then left click a shaped map on the atlas to downgrade it. You can then earn the Shaper's Orb again to reshape another map afterwards. which is obtained by vendoring 20 Cartographer's ChiselsCartographer's ChiselStack Size: 20Improves the quality of a mapRight click this item then left click a map to apply it. Has greater effect on lower rarity maps. The maximum quality is 20%.
Shift click to unstack. and 5 Orbs of RegretOrb of RegretStack Size: 40Grants a passive skill refund pointRight click on this item to use it.
Shift click to unstack.. Once unshaped, players can talk to Zana to re-obtain the Shaper's Orb.
End of league transfer
The merge has the following rules:
- Maps or bonus objectives completed transferred to the parent league
- Cartographer's Sextant mods:
- They will be moved to the parent league; if the map already has a mod, the parent league mods will be kept
- Legacy modifiers continue to exist and work as long they have not been overridden
- Shaped maps will carry over if the equivalent level Shaper's Orb hasn't been used on parent league; if you already shaped a map of the tier the parent league takes preference
- Shaper's Orbs:
If you complete a map that was created before the War for the Atlas expansion, it will complete a chain of maps from the start pointing on the Atlas up until the tier of map you completed. Shaped and Elder items do not drop on these maps. Elder Guardians also cannot spawn from them.
Non-unique pre-Atlas maps from prior to Version 2.5.0 do not count towards Atlas completion, even for maps where the map type and tier are identical to the current version. Older versions of unique maps will count towards Atlas completion, including the bonus objective, but the Shaper's Orb does not drop in old versions (affecting The Coward's TrialThe Coward's Trial
Cursed Crypt MapArea has (22-25) waves of monsters
Area has (30-50) seconds between monster wavesFor his sins he was hunted in his sleep,
judgement wrought of twisted nightmare.
The Coward bound his dreams to stone, awaiting
another to walk the path of true atonement.Travel to this Map by using it in the Templar Laboratory or a personal Map Device. Maps can only be used once., Poorjoy's AsylumPoorjoy's Asylum
Temple MapItem Quantity: +100%
Item Rarity: +250%(140-160)% more Monster Life
(140-160)% increased Monster Damage
25% increased Monster Movement Speed
25% increased Monster Attack Speed
25% increased Monster Cast Speed
Area is a large Maze
150% increased Experience gain
Unique Boss drops (10-15) additional Rare (Life Flasks-Belts)Laughs of all the twisted
Echo through these halls of gold.
In this cold forgotten void
They wander, forever uncontrolled.Travel to this Map by using it in the Templar Laboratory or a personal Map Device. Maps can only be used once., Death and TaxesDeath and Taxes
Necropolis MapItem Quantity: +150%Unique Boss deals (50-60)% increased Damage
Unique Boss has (25-30)% increased Attack and Cast Speed
Unique Boss gives 10000% increased ExperienceSo the raiders danced,
leading their foe ever west,
towards certain death.Travel to this Map by using it in the Templar Laboratory or a personal Map Device. Maps can only be used once. and The Vinktar SquareThe Vinktar Square
Courtyard MapItem Quantity: (+100% to +150%)
Item Rarity: (+100% to +150%)
Monster Pack Size: (+30% to +50%)20% more Monster Life
Monsters cannot be Shocked
30% increased Monster Damage
+35% Monster Lightning Resistance
Monsters deal 35% extra Damage as LightningTo the east,
it cannot be seen.
To the west,
it cannot be touched.
To the south,
it cannot be remembered.
And to the north,
it cannot be contained.Travel to this Map by using it in the Templar Laboratory or a personal Map Device. Maps can only be used once.).
- Masterseek (August 13, 2016). "Path of Exile: Atlas of Worlds Interview. A Map of Condensed Hype.". 2p.com. Retrieved August 13, 2016.
- Chris (August 29, 2016). "Forum - Development Manifesto - Cumulative Atlas Completion Bonus - Path of Exile". Grinding Gear Games. Retrieved August 29, 2016.
- Negitivefrags (November 12, 2016). "[Question]What happens to the atlas and the sextant mods when essence gets transferred to standard?". Reddit. Retrieved January 25, 2017.