Enchants your shield with the power of storms, which lashes out to deal lightning damage to attackers when you block their attacks.
Deals x–y Lightning Damage
Additional 4% Shield Block Chance
Skill Functions and Interactions
Damage on Blocking: This spell will damage the attacker whenever you successfully block any direct attack or spell (assuming you have passives or an item with x% of Block Chance applied to Spells to allow blocking of spells).
Switching weapon sets will deactivate Tempest Shield, even if that weapon set includes a shield.
Interactions with Buff/Aura Nodes
- "x% increased effect of Auras you Cast" does not help in any way
- "x% reduced Mana Reserved" reduces the amount of mana reserved by Tempest Shield
- "x% increased Effect of Buffs on You" increases the block chance from 4% to 5% when you hit 25%
Gem level progression
Although Tempest Shield's block chance of 4% may seem small, it may mean the difference between having to travel to another cluster in the passive tree in order to reach the block cap. With all Increased Effect of Buffs on you nodes on the tree, namely the Inner Force cluster and Devotion, it is possible to increase the block chance bonus to 5%.
Tempest Shield's reflected damage is not viable as a primary damage skill, due to several factors:
- The base damage is low---less than half that of and without its inherent chaining ability.
- Increased mana multipliers from supports will quickly raise the reservation cost to unsustainable levels.
- Even with a high block chance and spell block, most enemies do not attack rapidly enough for Tempest Shield to deal a significant amount of damage. (Though there are a few that do, including Voidbearers, Tentacle Miscreations, and Plumed Chimerals---these can easily suicide themselves in seconds against a high-block Tempest Shield.)
However, the reflection does guarantee a hit with fair reliability compared toor . Possible ways to take advantage of this include:
- . Does not increase the reservation cost.
- . For this purpose, Tempest Shield benefits from an above-average base critical strike chance of 6%. It may take some leveling for this to be able to sustain power charges, however, as is heavily dependent on both level and quality, more than doubling in charges gained from level 1 to level 20 and 20% quality. Spell critical strike chance will also be necessary to effectively bootstrap the charging process; can give a boost here.
- or . This a rather marginal option. At level 20 this will leech a base of 16.15 Life or 9.36 Mana per block, increased by damage modifiers. is likely the better of the two overall since it does not increase the reservation cost.
- . Another marginal option due to the low chance per hit to blind.
The symbol that appears on the character's shield when Tempest Shield is used is a Descry.
- Tempest Shield + Necromantic Aegis Official Path of Exile Forums