Neither damage over time nor reflect can cause stun.
The chance to stun is based off the damage done in a single hit compared to the target's maximum life. The default length of stuns is 350ms.
The duration of stuns can be altered by increased Block and Stun Recovery, increased Stun Duration on enemies, increased Stun Duration with Two Handed Melee Weapons on enemies and similar modifiers.
Whether or not a stun occurs can be calculated using the following formula:
stun_chance [%] = 200 * damage / defender_effective_max_life
In other words, in single-player a enemy will be stunned a mean of two time throughout its lifetime, assuming no regeneration or "wasted" damage.
Where defender_effective_max_life is what the maximum life of the creature would be in a single-player map. Increases to monster life from a party of more than one player do not affect defender_effective_max_life.
If the chance to stun would be less than or equal to 20%, it is ignored, so you need to deal more than 10% of effective maximum life to have a chance to stun. Dealing at least 50% of maximum life will always stun.
Reduced stun threshold modifiers reduce the value of defender_effective_max_life. For example, 25% reduced Enemy Stun Threshold means the enemy will be treated as if their defender_effective_max_life is only 75% as much as it actually is, increasing the chance that the enemy will be stunned.
When the total Stun Threshold Reduction would be over 75%, it is instead treated as being:
75 + ( Stun Threshold Reduction - 75) * 25 / ( Stun Threshold Reduction -50 )
The net effect on the mean number of stuns during a monster's lifetime is as follows:
- Hyperbolic regime: From 0-75% Reduced Stun Threshold, the mean number of stuns per lifetime increases from 2 to 8, accelerating as it goes.
- Linear regime: Every 3.125% Reduced Stun Threshold past 75% increases the mean number of stuns per lifetime by 1.
If a player has a total of 110% reduced Enemy Stun Threshold from gear and skills, the actual value that gets used would be:
- 75 + ( 110 - 75 ) * 25 / ( 110 - 50 )
- 75 + 35 * 25 / 60
- 75 + 35 * 0.42
- 75 + 14.6 = 89.6% reduced Enemy Stun Threshold
|Reduced Enemy Stun Threshold||Effective Reduced Enemy Stun Threshold||Minimum Percentage of life a hit needs to deal to stun||Percentage of Life a hit needs to deal to have 100% stun chance|
- The Keystone Unwavering Stance provides stun immunity, but prevents the player from evading attacks.
- The unique amulet Eye of ChayulaEye of Chayula
Onyx AmuletRequires Level 20
+(10 to 16) to all Attributes20% reduced maximum Life
30% increased Rarity of Items found
Cannot be StunnedNever blinking, always watching. grants the player immunity to stun.
- The unique boots Lioneye's PawsLioneye's Paws
Bronzescale BootsArmour: 48
Requires Level 30, 30 Str, 30 Dex
+(40 to 60) to Strength
+(40 to 60) to Dexterity
Adds 12–24 Fire Damage to Attacks
20% increased Movement Speed
40% reduced Movement Speed when on Low Life
20% increased Stun Recovery
Cannot be Stunned when on Low LifeStand and lead the righteous pride,
Fight till death, never hide. grants the player immunity to stun when on low life.
- The unique jewel Spire of StoneSpire of Stone
Crimson JewelLimited to: 1Radius: Large3% increased Totem Life per 10 Strength in Radius
Totems cannot be StunnedThe strongest Karui tribes left the longest impressions on the land.
Their symbols served as guidance many generations
after their creators had been buried deep beneath the earth.Place into an allocated jewel socket on the Passive Skill Tree. Right click to remove from the Socket. grants the player's totems immunity to stun.
The following Ascendancy class passive skills grant stun immunity:
||Bastion of Hope|| |
||Endless Hunger|| |
||Rite of Ruin|| |
||Vile Bastion|| |
- As long as a creature has greater than 0 energy shield, it has a 50% chance to ignore a stun. This is calculated independently of the creature's chance to be stunned. First the chance to stun is calculated as normal, and if the stun check succeeds and would cause a stun, there is then a 50% chance that the stun can be ignored. An attack that removes energy shield can have its stun avoided, even though energy shield is 0 after damage is applied. Players lose this chance to ignore a stun with the Eldritch Battery keystone node.
- The notable node Heart of Oak grants +#% chance to Avoid being Stunned.
- The notable nodes Practical Application and Nimbleness grants +#% chance to Avoid interruption from Stuns while Casting.
- Leo can craft the mod +(25-35)% chance to Avoid being Stunned on helmets.
A character with considerable amount of energy shield is continuously casting a spell. The character has following mods:
- +38% chance to Avoid being Stunned
- +25% chance to Avoid interruption from Stuns while Casting
When the character then gets hit that normally would cause a stun. However, due to all the avoidance modifiers the actual chance to become stunned is:
(1 - 0.5) * (1 - 0.38) * (1 - 0.25) = 23.25%
SkillsA list of skill gems that relates to stun.
|Endurance Charge on Melee Stun Support|
Endurance Charge on Melee Stun SupportSupport, Melee, Attack
Mana Multiplier: 110%Drop Level: 18
Requires Level 18Per 1% Quality:
1% increased Stun Duration on Enemies(0 to 19)% reduced Enemy Stun Threshold
Gain an Endurance Charge if you Stun an Enemy with Melee DamageThis is a Support Gem. It does not grant a bonus to your character, but skills in sockets connected to it. Place into an item socket connected to a socket containing the Active Skill Gem you wish to augment. Right click to remove from a socket.
Ground SlamAttack, AoE, Melee
Mana Cost: 6
Cast Time: 1.00 secDrop Level: 1
Requires Level 1The character slams the ground in front of them with their main hand weapon, creating a wave that travels forward and damages enemies with an increased chance to stun. Only works with Staves or Maces.Per 1% Quality:
1.5% increased Stun Duration on enemies25% reduced Enemy Stun Threshold
(0 to 19)% increased Area of Effect radiusPlace into an item socket of the right colour to gain this skill. Right click to remove from a socket.
Heavy StrikeAttack, Melee
Mana Cost: 5
Cast Time: 1.00 secDrop Level: 1
Requires Level 1Attacks the enemy with a forceful blow, knocking them back. Requires a Mace, Axe, Sword or Two-Handed Weapon.Per 1% Quality:
1% increased Stun Duration on enemiesKnocks enemies Back on Hit
25% reduced Enemy Stun ThresholdPlace into an item socket of the right colour to gain this skill. Right click to remove from a socket.
Shield ChargeAttack, Melee, Movement
Mana Cost: 10
Cast Time: 1.00 secDrop Level: 10
Requires Level 10Charges at an enemy, bashing it with the character's shield and striking it. This knocks it back and stuns it. Enemies in the way are pushed to the side. Damage and stun are proportional to distance travelled.Per 1% Quality:
1% increased Damage200% increased Stun Duration on enemies at Maximum charge distance
(50 to 69)% increased Movement Speed
(200 to 428)% more Damage at Maximum Charge Distance
Deals 50% of Base DamagePlace into an item socket of the right colour to gain this skill. Right click to remove from a socket.
Icon: tDrop Level: 8
Requires Level 8Per 1% Quality:
1.5% increased Stun Duration on Enemies(30 to 49)% reduced Enemy Stun ThresholdThis is a Support Gem. It does not grant a bonus to your character, but skills in sockets connected to it. Place into an item socket connected to a socket containing the Active Skill Gem you wish to augment. Right click to remove from a socket.
Warlord's MarkCurse, Spell, AoE, Duration
Mana Cost: (24 to 50)
Cast Time: 0.50 secDrop Level: 24
Requires Level 24Curses all targets in an area, making them more vulnerable to stuns. Hitting the cursed targets will leech life and mana, and killing them will result in a chance to gain an endurance charge.Per 1% Quality:
Cursed enemies have a 0.5% chance to grant an Endurance Charge when slainBase duration is (6.0 to 9.8) seconds
(0 to 38)% increased Area of Effect radius
Cursed enemies have (21 to 30)% reduced Stun Recovery
Cursed enemies have an additional (11 to 15)% chance to be Stunned
Cursed enemies grant 2.0% Life Leech when Hit
Cursed enemies grant 2.0% Mana Leech when Hit
Cursed enemies have a (21 to 30)% chance to grant an Endurance Charge when slainPlace into an item socket of the right colour to gain this skill. Right click to remove from a socket.
- Mark_GGG (July 14, 2014). "Possible to stun yourself on reflect with vulnerability?". Official Path of Exile Forums. Retrieved November 26, 2014.
- Malice (November 13, 2011). "Mechanics Thread". Path of Exile Forum. Retrieved October 20, 2013.
- Mark_GGG (October 25, 2012). "Stun and Reduced Stun Threshold: the quick and dirty way". Path of Exile Forum. Retrieved October 20, 2013.
- Mark_GGG (August 21, 2013 5:23 AM). "Vulnerability's additional chance to stun not applying". Path of Exile Forum. Retrieved August 21, 2013.
- Rory (April 18, 2015). "A potential change I'm keen to hear your thoughts on". Path of Exile Forum. Retrieved March 14, 2016.
- Mark_GGG (July 16, 2013). "Energy Shield's Chance to Ignore Stun is not additive with Chance to Avoid Stun". Path of Exile forum. Retrieved February 03, 2016.
- milesmeloro (July 17, 2013). "Energy Shield's Chance to Ignore Stun is not additive with Chance to Avoid Stun". Path of Exile subforum. Retrieved February 03, 2016.