Leagues in Path of Exile represent the game worlds that characters exist within. A single character can only belong to one league at any time, and can't interact with characters outside that league.
These two leagues exist permanently:
- Standard is the default league and has no modifiers.
- Hardcore has the hardcore modifier, meaning characters who die are moved to Standard. Hardcore is equivalent to permadeath in other RPGs, though your character and items are not automatically deleted.
Characters used in certain races (notably Descent, Descent: Champions and Endless Ledge races) are afterwards sent to a Void League instead of being deleted. You can't play these characters or access their inventory; void characters can only be deleted or kept as a sort of trophy.
Temporary leagues have a set duration, which can vary from 12 minutes to four months. They are usually defined by specific modifiers or features that the permanent leagues don't have. When a league ends, the characters are not lost but transferred to one of the permanent leagues.
Periodically, two new leagues are created and the previous two challenge leagues are removed. These leagues are intended to introduce and test new content while providing players with a fresh economy. Challenge leagues have been three or four months long. In addition, each pair of leagues has a set of eight optional challenges that can be completed for a prize.
When a challenge league ends, all characters and their stash will be sent to their respective parent league (either Standard league or Hardcore League).
The Talisman leagues are the current challenge leagues. They started on December 11, 2015 along with the release of version 2.1.0 and will end on March 4, 2016. The standard and hardcore variant of this league both have the same core features, but some items are only available in one or the other.
Warbands and Tempest
- Warbands: In the Warbands league, warring clans have spread throughout Wraeclast. These warbands are tight-knit groups of enemies who cooperate and use synergistic skills to take you down. At higher levels, elite and leader enemies are present, who direct their Warband in combat and can take matters into their own hands if the tide of battle turns against them. Each of the three Warbands have exclusive Unique Items that only drop from them. The presence of the warbands in Wraeclast fluctuates over time and responds to the Exiles' efforts to hunt them.
- Tempest: In the Tempest league, Wraeclast is affected by magical Tempests. These can cause a variety of effects that influence both monsters and players, such as changing their sizes, causing damage, altering drop rates or even automatically animating weapons that drop. With careful positioning you can deny monsters from getting positive buffs or kite them into negative ones. When a Tempest affects an area, it affects it for everyone in that league for an hour. You can look at the world map to see what Tempest affects each area at the moment. Some of the rarer tempests grant significant item finding benefits, so are worth keeping a lookout for.
Torment and Bloodlines
- Torment: In the Torment league, your adventures are haunted by the spirits of tormented criminals that yield their ill-gotten gains when slain. Eager to protect their trove, these spirits flee when encountered and imbue nearby monsters with dangerous powers, which improves their item drops. It's also possible for spirits to possess rare and unique enemies, greatly increasing their threat (and value!) to treasure-seeking exiles.
- Bloodlines: Bloodlines is a Hardcore league (characters who die are converted to Standard characters). Each pack of magic monsters has a shared Bloodlines mod that greatly influences combat - sometimes while the pack is still alive, and sometimes after it has been killed. Where Nemesis involved individual rare monsters gaining an additional power, Bloodlines revolves around groups of monsters with synergistic powers. Various strategies are needed for approaching the different Bloodlines, as there are a wide variety of effects, such as constructing an Animated Guardian piece-by-piece or monsters becoming immortal while near their slain brethren.
There are six new unique items that can only drop in the challenge leagues. Three are specific to Torment (The Rat CageThe Rat Cage
Sharkskin TunicEvasion: (798 to 877)
Requires Level 56, 152 Dex
(100 to 120)% increased Evasion Rating
+(160 to 200) to maximum Life
−5% to maximum Fire Resistance
15% increased Movement Speed
20% increased Fire Damage taken
10% of Fire Damage taken as Physical DamageThe truth lies inside every man, if you dig around.
Many a confession was found in the bowels of Axiom., Brutus' Lead SprinklerBrutus' Lead Sprinkler
Ritual SceptreOne Handed Mace
Physical Damage: (31–80 to 37–86)
Critical Strike Chance: (7.80 to 8.40)%
Attacks per Second: (1.38 to 1.68)Requires Level 28, 51 Str, 51 Int
10% increased Elemental Damage20% increased Physical Damage
Adds 15–25 Fire Damage against Ignited Enemies
Adds (8–26 to 13–31) Physical Damage
30% increased Fire Damage
(15 to 20)% increased Attack Speed
(30 to 40)% increased Critical Strike Chance"A sprinkle of liquid encouragement is often required
to garnish the perfect confession."
- Brutus, Warden of Axiom and Scold's BridleScold's Bridle
Mind CageEnergy Shield: 91Requires Level 65, 138 Int
(80 to 100)% increased Spell Damage
15% reduced Cast Speed
+(30 to 60) to maximum Mana
Your Skills deal you 400% of Mana Cost as Physical Damage"The sharper the pain, the sharper the mind.
A curious paradox."
- Shavronne of Umbra), and three are specific to Bloodlines (Valako's SignValako's Sign
Topaz RingRequires Level 38
+(20 to 30)% to Lightning Resistance15% increased Damage against Shocked Enemies
20% increased Lightning Damage
+(20 to 40) to maximum Mana
0.2% of Damage Leeched as Life against Shocked Enemies
5% chance to ShockA gift from Valako,
appointing Kiloava as the Herald of War.
A title Kaom claimed when he ended Kiloava’s bloodline., Tasalio's SignTasalio's Sign
Sapphire RingRequires Level 20
+(20 to 30)% to Cold ResistanceAdds 10–15 Physical Damage to Attacks against Frozen Enemies
Adds (5–7 to 6–9) Cold Damage to Attacks
+(200 to 300) to Evasion Rating
20% reduced Chill Duration on You
5% chance to FreezeA gift from Tasalio, God of Water,
to the chieftain Rakiata.
Kaom took Rakiata’s head and hand
so that his warriors' axes might rise and fall like the waves. and Ngamahu's SignNgamahu's Sign
Ruby RingRequires Level 29
+(20 to 30)% to Fire Resistance+(15 to 25) to Strength
Adds (8–12 to 10–14) Fire Damage to Attacks
+(4 to 5) Life gained for each Ignited Enemy hit by your Attacks
15% increased Ignite Duration on Enemies
5% chance to IgniteA gift from Ngamahu,
a sign to the Karui to spread like fire.
Given to Akoya, but inherited by Kaom with the swing of his axe.).
Rampage and Beyond
Rampage and Beyond were introduced with the Forsaken Masters expansion. They started on August 20, 2014 and ended on November 20th 2014, marking a change to a three-month rather than a four-month challenge league duration.
- Rampage: Players can build up a devastating rampage buff for killing monsters within a short time frame before the rampage resets. Each kill causes characters to become slightly faster and deal more damage. The kill streak wears off after five seconds of no kills. As players reach higher rampage levels they receive special effects such as novas that explode or stun enemies, summoned spirit weapons, and a cyclone at that explodes nearby enemies. One of the new challenges is to reach every tier of rampage.
- Beyond: Beyond is a hardcore league. Demons from another realm are attempting to invade Wraeclast. Monster kills have a chance to cause small red portals to appear. If enough portals spawn close together, a larger portal opens and demons spawn and attack the player. Several of those larger portals close together can open a third tier that unleashes one of several extremely difficult demon bosses.
There were six new unique items added that can only drop in the challenge leagues. Three are specific to Rampage (Flesh and SpiritFlesh and Spirit
Ironscale GauntletsArmour: (45 to 55)
Evasion: (45 to 55)
Requires Level 15
(6 to 9)% increased Attack Speed
(80 to 120)% increased Armour and Evasion
(3 to 4) Life Regenerated per second
Recover 20% of your Maximum Life on Rampage
Gain 5 Souls for Vaal Skills on Rampage
RampageWhat is greed but trading a mountain of death
for a sliver of life?, Shadows and DustShadows and Dust
Clasped MittsEvasion: (98 to 113)
Energy Shield: (30 to 35)Requires Level 31, 25 Dex, 25 Int
(20 to 30)% increased Global Critical Strike Chance
(15 to 30)% increased Global Critical Strike Multiplier
(100 to 130)% increased Evasion and Energy Shield
0.2% of Physical Attack Damage Leeched as Mana
Creates a Smoke Cloud on Rampage
Gain Unholy Might for 3 seconds on Rampage
RampageWhat is fear but a snuffed torch and death in the wind? and Null and VoidNull and Void
Legion GlovesArmour: (222 to 240)
Energy Shield: (65 to 70)Requires Level 57, 44 Str, 44 Int
+(20 to 30) to Strength
(150 to 180)% increased Armour and Energy Shield
+(50 to 70) to maximum Life
(20 to 40)% increased Mana Regeneration Rate
Dispels elemental Status Ailments on Rampage
Gain Immunity to Physical Damage for 1.5 seconds on Rampage
RampageWhat is freedom but a clean state in an unclean world?), and three are specific to Beyond (The Dark SeerThe Dark Seer
Shadow SceptreOne Handed Mace
Physical Damage: 25–38
Critical Strike Chance: 6.65%
Attacks per Second: 1.20Requires Level 32, 52 Str, 62 Int
15% increased Elemental Damage(30 to 50)% increased Damage
7% Global chance to Blind enemies on hit
+1 Mana gained on Kill per Level
+1 Energy Shield gained on Kill per Level
Cannot be BlindedFeed on the light of the living,
Bring darkness to all I see,
Until we are one in shadow., Edge of MadnessEdge of Madness
Etched GreatswordTwo Handed Sword
Physical Damage: (46–52 to 98–110)
Chaos Damage: (60–90 to 65–105)
Critical Strike Chance: 5%
Attacks per Second: 1.10Requires Level 22, 45 Str, 38 Dex
18% increased Accuracy Rating+1 to Level of Active Socketed Skill Gems
(60 to 80)% increased Physical Damage
Adds (60–90 to 65–105) Chaos Damage
+1 Life gained on Kill per Level
1% increased Elemental Damage per Level
1% increased Chaos Damage per LevelSoon, the pleas for mercy were muted.
Only one voice remained.
Laughing. and The HarvestThe Harvest
Jasper ChopperTwo Handed Axe
Physical Damage: (145–227 to 158–247)
Critical Strike Chance: 5%
Attacks per Second: 1.00Requires Level 37, 100 Str, 29 Dex
(120 to 140)% increased Physical Damage
1.2% of Damage leeched as Life on Critical Strike
3% increased Global Critical Strike Chance per Level
Gain Flask Charges when you deal a Critical StrikeLet it grow and gather inside them,
Let it flow through their veins,
Don't waste a drop.).
Ambush and Invasion
The Ambush and Invasion leagues ran from March 5, 2014 to July 5, 2014 and were introduced with Sacrifice of the Vaal expansion.
- Ambush: Various new types of chests called Strongboxes could be found throughout Wraeclast. These chests were guarded by monsters that ambushed the player when they were opened. The ambushing monsters must be slain before the contents of the Strongbox could be claimed. Sometimes you encountered magic, rare or unique Strongboxes which had modifiers like items do. Prefixes affected the difficulty of the ambush by adding more monsters, springing traps or affecting your character. Suffixes improved your rewards from the Strongbox. You could use currency items to reroll these mods. One of the new challenges was to open Strongboxes with each mod.
- Invasion: Invasion was a hardcore league. Areas of Wraeclast had substantially more monster variety, so players would run into unexpected and dangerous invading monsters from other levels or acts. A unique Invasion Boss from an invading monster type was also lurking in each level. Higher difficulty levels contained expanded monster variety and the invading bosses with more abilities. One of the new challenges was to kill a selection of the invading Unique bosses.
These changes applied to both Ambush and Invasion:
- Eight new quiver base types were added.
- A new ring type, Unset RingUnset RingRequires Level 5
Has 1 Socket, was added.
- There were two new unique items that can only drop in either challenge league (VoideyeVoideye
Unset RingRequires Level 45
Has 1 Socket+5 to Level of Socketed GemsThe darker the eye, the more diligent the watched. and Vaal CaressVaal Caress
Bronzescale GauntletsArmour: (95 to 103)
Evasion: (95 to 103)
Requires Level 27, 22 Str, 22 Dex
+2 to Level of Socketed Vaal Gems
(120 to 140)% increased Armour and Evasion
+(30 to 40) to maximum Life
+30% to Cold Resistance
You gain Onslaught for 5 seconds on using a Vaal Skill"The gems are strangely human at times.
They simply love to be held."
- Doryani, First Seer to the Queen), plus one that can only drop in Ambush (DrillneckDrillneck
Penetrating Arrow QuiverRequires Level 36
10% chance of Arrows Piercing(8 to 12)% increased Attack Speed
+350 to Evasion Rating
+(40 to 50) to maximum Life
Adds (10–19 to 14–24) Physical Damage to Attacks with Bows
Projectile Damage increased by Arrow Pierce Chance"Why waste such a fine arrow on just one man?"
- Kiravi, Vaal Archer) and one that can only drop in Invasion (RearguardRearguard
Broadhead Arrow QuiverRequires Level 28
Adds 6–12 Physical Damage to Attacks with Bows+(400 to 450) to Armour
(20 to 30)% increased Projectile Speed
50% increased Stun Recovery
(15 to 20)% increased Projectile Damage
(20 to 24)% Chance to Block
(12 to 15)% Chance to Block Spells"It's a rare man that has eyes in the back of his head."
- Kiravi, Vaal Archer).
Domination and Nemesis
The Domination and Nemesis leagues ran from October 23, 2013 to February 23rd 2014 and were introduced with patch 1.0.0:
- Domination: A variety of powerful shrines spawned along with large groups of monsters that received powerful buffs from the shrine. If you got close to a shrine and "tagged" it, you received the shrine's bonuses for a short time. One of the new challenges was to tag each type of shrine. The shrines were later added to the rest of the game with a reduced spawn rate.
- Nemesis: Nemesis was a hardcore league. Rare monsters had one additional mod from the Nemesis Pool, which could make a fight substantially harder. These enemies were more powerful, made players weaker, or had special effects on death. One of the new challenges was to kill rare monsters with each nemesis modifier. After the league ended, rare monsters were given a small chance to have a nemesis modifier.
These changes applied to both Nemesis and Domination:
- Prismatic Ring could not drop as a base type in Domination and Nemesis league, but it could be created with a new vendor recipe. Unique Prismatic Rings could still drop in these leagues.
- There were six new Unique items that could drop in either challenge league, plus one that could only drop in Domination (The GullThe Gull
Raven MaskEvasion: (198 to 225)
Energy Shield: (59 to 68)Requires Level 38, 44 Dex, 44 Int
(120 to 150)% increased Evasion and Energy Shield
+(30 to 40) to maximum Mana
+(15 to 20) Life gained on Kill
+(10 to 15) Energy Shield gained on Kill
75% increased Effect of Shrine Buffs on you
50% increased Duration of Shrine Effects on you"It is the Gull that delivers Man unto Ancestor.
The consumer of our flesh. The seeder of our
souls unto the earth. We give the Gull his life.
The Gull gives us our Way."
- Lavianga, Advisor to Kaom) and one that could only drop in Nemesis (HeadhunterHeadhunter
Leather BeltRequires Level 40
+(25 to 40) to Maximum Life+(40 to 55) to Strength
+(40 to 55) to Dexterity
+(50 to 60) to maximum Life
(20 to 30)% increased Damage against Rare monsters
When you Kill a Rare monster, you gain its mods for 20 seconds"A man's soul rules from a cavern of bone, learns and
judges through flesh-born windows. The heart is meat.
The head is where the Man is."
- Lavianga, Advisor to Kaom).
- could not be obtained in these leagues.
- Increased Item Quantity modifiers could not spawn on Magic and Rare items in these leagues, but remained on unique items.
Anarchy and Onslaught
The Anarchy and Onslaught leagues ran from June 8, 2013 to October 8, 2013 and were introduced with patch 0.11.0:
- Anarchy: In each area, Rogue Exiles could spawn to attack the player. The rogue exiles were later added to the rest of the leagues and spawn at around 60% of the rate that they appear in Anarchy. They were also rebalanced.
- Onslaught: Onslaught was a hardcore league. Monsters had a +20% bonus to move speed and attack/cast speed.
These changes applied to both Anarchy and Onslaught:
- Six unique items were added for the new leagues. Two only dropped in Onslaught (Death RushDeath Rush
Amethyst RingRequires Level 46
+(9 to 13)% to Chaos Resistance+(300 to 350) to Accuracy Rating
+(60 to 80) to Armour
+(15 to 20)% to Chaos Resistance
(0.6 to 0.8)% of Physical Attack Damage Leeched as Life
You gain Onslaught for 2 seconds on KillTo truly appreciate life you must be there when it ends and Victario's AcuityVictario's Acuity
Turquoise AmuletRequires Level 16
+(16 to 24) to Dexterity and Intelligence+(30 to 40)% to Lightning Resistance
+(8 to 10)% to Chaos Resistance
10% chance to gain a Frenzy Charge on Kill
10% chance to gain a Power Charge on Kill
5% increased Projectile Speed per Frenzy Charge
5% increased Projectile Damage per Power Charge"Grind your words into sharp thoughts.
Grind your thoughts into the sharpest of deeds."
- Victario, the People's Poet), two only dropped in Anarchy (Gifts from AboveGifts from Above
Diamond RingRequires Level 28
(20 to 30)% increased Global Critical Strike Chance(30 to 35)% increased Global Critical Strike Chance
(10 to 15)% increased Light Radius
Creates Consecrated Ground on Critical Strike
(40 to 50)% increased Rarity of Items Dropped by Enemies killed with a Critical Strike"God blesses those who bless themselves."
- High Templar Dominus and Daresso's SaluteDaresso's Salute
Citrine AmuletRequires Level 16
+(16 to 24) to Strength and Dexterity50% reduced maximum Energy Shield
+(30 to 40)% to Fire Resistance
+(30 to 40)% to Cold Resistance
10% increased Movement Speed when on Full Life
+2 to Melee Weapon and Unarmed range
60% increased Melee Damage when on Full Life"A bit short in the arm, are you?
Then you'll be short of a head soon enough."
- Daresso the Daring) and two could drop in either league (Voll's DevotionVoll's Devotion
Agate AmuletRequires Level 32
+(16 to 24) to Strength and Intelligence+(30 to 40) to maximum Life
+(20 to 30) to maximum Energy Shield
+(15 to 20)% to all Elemental Resistances
30% reduced Endurance Charge Duration
30% reduced Power Charge Duration
Gain an Endurance Charge when a Power Charge expires or is consumed"We are the soldiers of Faith, armoured in devotion. Let the sinners come, for we - the Pure - shall endure!"
—Voll of Thebrus, at the Battle of the Bridge and Shavronne's RevelationShavronne's Revelation
Moonstone RingRequires Level 30
+(15 to 25) to maximum Energy Shield+(60 to 75) to Intelligence
Right ring slot: You cannot Regenerate Mana
Right ring slot: 3% of Energy Shield Regenerated per second
Left ring slot: 100% increased Mana Regeneration Rate
Left ring slot: You cannot Recharge or Regenerate Energy Shield"Shavronne held Sanity in her right
hand and Revelation in her left.
Brutus chose the left hand."
- Kadavrus, Surgeon to the Umbra).
- These items could not drop in the Anarchy or Onslaught leagues: Prismatic RingPrismatic RingRequires Level 30
+(8 to 10)% to all Elemental Resistances, Onyx AmuletOnyx AmuletRequires Level 20
+(10 to 16) to all Attributes, Thief's TormentThief's Torment
Prismatic RingRequires Level 30
+(8 to 10)% to all Elemental Resistances(10 to 16)% increased Quantity of Items found
Can't use other Rings
+(8 to 12)% to all Elemental Resistances
50% reduced Effect of Curses on You
+(20 to 30) Life gained for each enemy hit by your Attacks
+15 Mana gained for each enemy hit by your AttacksThe ring I stole,
My finger they took,
A shrouded mind,
Cut their curses short,
As I drained their spirit
And stole their soul.
A blessing is often a curse., Lori's LanternLori's Lantern
Prismatic RingRequires Level 30
(8 to 10)% to all Elemental Resistances10% to all Elemental Resistances
(6 to 8)% increased Movement Speed when on Low Life
31% increased Light Radius
+(20 to 25)% Chaos Resistance when on Low Life
While on Low Life, Enemies are Unlucky when Damaging youBy Its light, Lori led her young charges to safety
and bound up their wounds.
Her sword arm was iron, yet her heart gentle
and proof against hate., AstramentisAstramentis
Onyx AmuletRequires Level 20
+(10 to 16) to all Attributes+(80 to 100) to all Attributes
−4 Physical Damage taken from AttacksMindless rage will shake the world,
Cunning lies will bend it.
Reckless haste will break the world,
And into darkness send it., Carnage HeartCarnage Heart
Onyx AmuletRequires Level 20
+(10 to 16) to all Attributes+(20 to 40) to all Attributes
25% reduced maximum Life
25% reduced maximum Energy Shield
+(10 to 20)% to all Elemental Resistances
(1.2 to 2)% of Physical Attack Damage Leeched as Life
Extra GoreForged from the blood of countless wars,
its thirst has only begun., Eye of ChayulaEye of Chayula
Onyx AmuletRequires Level 20
+(10 to 16) to all Attributes20% reduced maximum Life
30% increased Rarity of Items found
Cannot be StunnedNever blinking, always watching. and Kaom's HeartKaom's Heart
Glorious PlateArmour: 553
Requires Level 68, 191 Str
Has no Sockets
+500 to maximum Life
(20 to 40)% increased Fire DamageThe warrior who
fears will fall..
Race leagues are temporary leagues created specifically for a single race event.
These leagues have their own stash. At the end of the event, characters and their stashed items will be moved to the parent league, which is typically Hardcore or Void league. The player's race stash may be placed in remove-only stash tabs if the parent league has no empty tabs. A list of race modifiers is here.
- Chris (September 23, 2013). "What's happening when Anarchy/Onslaught leagues end?". Official Path of Exile Forums. Retrieved Oct 7, 2013.
- Chris (November 13, 2015). "The Talisman Challenge Leagues". Official Path of Exile Forums. Retrieved December 9, 2015.
- Bex_GGG (December 11, 2015). "2.1.0 Content Update and Talisman League Deployment Timeline". Official Path of Exile Forums. Retrieved December 11, 2015.
- Chris (June 30, 2015). "The Awakening Trailer, Launch Date, Challenge Leagues and More!". Official Path of Exile Forums. Retrieved January 3, 2016.
- Chris (September 16, 2015). "More Information About the Upcoming One-Month Event". Official Path of Exile Forums. Retrieved September 23, 2015.
- Chris (November 20, 2014). "Rampage and Beyond have ended - prizes have been awarded!". Official Path of Exile Forums. Retrieved November 20, 2014.