Every item in Path of Exile has an item level (also referred to as iLevel). This is not to be confused with the level requirement on a piece of equipment, or the level of a normal item, which are both separate statistics.
Finding an item's item level
There are three ways to find the item level of an item:
- Lift the item onto the cursor, and type the /itemlevel command into the chat box, while the item is held on the cursor. The item level will be reported in chat.
- With the trade screen open, hold down the ALT key while hovering over an item in the trade panel. The item level will be shown near the mouse cursor.
- Hover with the mouse over an item linked in chat, and press CTRL+C. This will copy the complete item information to your clipboard, including item level.
- For items dropped by monsters, the level of the monster that dropped it. Normal monsters have a level equal to the monster level of the area. The level of magic monsters is monster level +1, and the level of rare and unique monsters is monster level +2.
- For items dropped by chests, the monster level of the area that the chest is in
- For quest rewards and items purchased from vendors, these items have predetermined item levels depending on vendor or quest. For example items bought from vendors in merciless difficulty will have a higher item level than those bought in normal difficulty.
- For items created using a vendor recipe, the item level of the resulting item varies depending on the recipe. For example, there is a recipe that returns one new random magic item in exchange for five magic items of the same base item type. For this recipe, the created item has an item level equal to the lowest item level of the five magic items consumed by the recipe.
- For race reward items, the item level is always 100.
What item level affects
Item level restricts which random properties an item can receive.
- Magic and rare items can only receive affixes whose level is less than or equal to the item's item level. This is true for all items that can receive affixes, such as weapons, armour, flasks, maps, etc.
- The number of sockets that can appear on an item is determined by its item level. Items with a higher item level can receive more sockets. For instance with an item level of 1, an item can have no more than two sockets. Item level has no effect on the number of socket links that an item receives.
(NB: The max number of sockets an item can have are 4 for headgear/gloves/shoes, 3 for shields and one handed weapons such as swords/maces/shields/knives/wands and 6 for chest armour, bows and two handed melee weapons. Having a very high item level doesn't allow for a higher number of sockets than these limits.)
The minimum item level to obtain each number of sockets is as follows:
|Number of Sockets||Minimum Level|
- The item level does not affect the possible unique items that can spawn when using an Orb of ChanceOrb of Chance
Stack Size: 20Upgrades a normal item to a random rarityRight click this item then left click a
normal item to apply it.
Shift click to unstack. on an item. For example: If you use an orb of chance on a Chain BeltChain Belt
+(9 to 20) to maximum Energy Shield with an item level of 10, it is possible to get an AuxiumAuxium
Chain BeltRequires Level 70+(9 to 20) to maximum Energy Shield(10 to 20)% increased Elemental Damage with Weapons
+(45 to 55) to maximum Mana
+(60 to 70) to maximum Energy Shield
Chill and Freeze duration on you is based on 65% of Energy Shield
1% of Physical Attack Damage Leeched as Mana per Power ChargeAs long as the soul is unfettered, so is the body. unique belt, eventhough this belt only drops in maps with a monster level higher than 72.
Maximum item level
As of Version 1.0.2 the highest item level a dropped item can have is 80 (from a rare/unique monster in a level 78 map, or from Olmec in Olmec's SanctumOlmec's Sanctum
Maze MapMap Level: 74
Item Quantity: +60%(40 to 50)% increased Monster Life
(30 to 40)% increased Monster Damage
Final Boss drops higher Level ItemsThey flew, and leapt, and clambered over,
They crawled, and swam, and slithered under.
Still its ancient secrets await unclaimed
And of this hidden temple, only legends remain.Travel to this Map by using it in the Eternal
Laboratory. Maps can only be used once.). Event items can go higher though; all race rewards have a set item level of 100. Note that currently having an item level of 100 doesn't give any benefits. There are no item affixes that need an ilvl higher than 79 to spawn.