Freezing PulseProjectile, Spell, Cold
Mana Cost: (4 to 18)
Cast Time: 0.65 sec
Critical Strike Chance: 6.00%
Damage Effectiveness: 125%
Projectile Speed: 1800Drop Restrictions
Level: 1An icy projectile which has a chance to freeze enemies it passes through. The projectile fades quickly, reducing damage and freezing chance until it runs out of time and dissipates completely.Per 1% Quality:
2% increased Projectile SpeedDeals (7-689) to (11-1034) Cold Damage
(0-19)% increased Projectile SpeedPlace into an item socket of the right colour to gain this skill. Right click to remove from a socket.
Sometimes a spellcaster just needs crowd control. When beset by a hostile throng, masters of ice magic frequently employ the deadly Freezing Pulse. The spell pierces easily through the thickest hide and the toughest armor, spinning and freezing in an icy whirl until it impacts a distant target. The Pulse is at peak strength when it's cast, so it has the greatest effect on enemies that are right up next to the caster. Of course, these are also the enemies presenting the most threat, and they are left frozen solid or slain outright.Description on the official Path of Exile website 
Skill functions and interactions
- Automatic piercing: Freezing Pulse has a 100% chance to pierce enemies, but cannot travel through terrain obstacles. Modifiers to pierce, aswell as other projectile effects (e.g. forking and chaining) do not have any effect.
- Chance to freeze: The Freezing Pulse projectile inherently has a 25% chance to freeze at the point of origin. The chance to freeze decreases in a linear fashion. The freeze chance along the projectile's path is defined as the difference of the initial chance to freeze and the percentage of the projectile's maximum lifetime that has already elapsed as a percentage. Therefore, after one quarter of the projectile's lifetime, Freezing Pulse's chance to freeze is 0%, in terms of the skill itself, excluiding any other chances to freeze the caster may have.
- Projectile speed: The projectiles move at an average speed of approximately 165 units/sec, for 0.375 seconds, making their effective range at approximately 60 units. Modifiers to projectile speed cause the projectiles to travel farther before they dissipate, effectively increasing their range. Freezing Pulse modified by projectile speed will cause more damage and have a better chance to freeze at every point along its trajectory than a slower Freezing Pulse projectile would, because the chance to freeze is based on the lifetime elapsed of the projectiles (and not distance travelled. Thus, a faster projectile has had less time to dissipate and has a longer maximum range and therefore a higher chance to freeze than a slower projectile. This is true at all points along the projectile's path, while the chance to freeze is greater than zero.
Gem level progression
|1||1||0||4||7 to 11||0||0|
|2||2||0||5||8 to 13||70||70|
|3||4||16||6||11 to 16||308||378|
|4||7||22||7||15 to 23||1,554||1,932|
|5||11||31||8||22 to 33||6,667||8,599|
|6||16||41||9||32 to 49||26,047||34,646|
|7||20||50||10||43 to 65||49,725||84,371|
|8||24||58||11||57 to 85||95,714||180,085|
|9||28||67||12||73 to 110||169,595||349,680|
|10||32||75||13||93 to 140||283,759||633,439|
|11||36||83||14||118 to 176||453,996||1,087,435|
|12||40||92||14||148 to 221||703,128||1,790,563|
|13||44||100||15||184 to 276||1,061,223||2,851,786|
|14||48||109||16||228 to 342||2,065,870||4,917,656|
|15||52||117||17||281 to 421||2,507,110||7,424,766|
|16||56||125||18||345 to 517||5,798,936||13,223,702|
|17||60||134||18||422 to 633||15,083,919||28,307,621|
|18||64||142||18||515 to 772||27,792,735||56,100,356|
|19||67||148||18||596 to 894||43,869,739||99,970,095|
|20||70||155||18||689 to 1034||242,081,556||342,051,651|
|21||72||159||18||759 to 1138||N/A||N/A|
|22||74||N/A||19||835 to 1252||N/A||N/A|
|23||76||N/A||19||918 to 1377||N/A||N/A|
|24||78||N/A||19||1009 to 1513||N/A||N/A|
|25||80||N/A||20||1108 to 1662||N/A||N/A|
|26||82||N/A||20||1216 to 1824||N/A||N/A|
|27||84||N/A||20||1335 to 2002||N/A||N/A|
|28||86||N/A||21||1464 to 2196||N/A||N/A|
|29||88||N/A||21||1605 to 2407||N/A||N/A|
|30||90||N/A||21||1759 to 2638||N/A||N/A|
Quest rewardThis skill is given as quest reward for the following quests:
|Enemy at the Gate|
Vendor rewardThis skill can be bought at the listed npc vendors after completing the following quests:
|Enemy at the Gate|
Scroll of WisdomScroll of WisdomStack Size: 40Drop Restrictions
Level: 1Identifies an itemRight click this item then left click an unidentified item to apply it.
Shift click to unstack.
Related helmet enchantments
There are helmet enchantments that affect Freezing Pulse:
|EnchantmentFreezingPulseCastSpeed1||66||8% increased Freezing Pulse Cast Speed|
|EnchantmentFreezingPulseCastSpeed2||75||12% increased Freezing Pulse Cast Speed|
|EnchantmentFreezingPulseDamage1||66||25% increased Freezing Pulse Damage|
|EnchantmentFreezingPulseDamage2||75||40% increased Freezing Pulse Damage|
|EnchantmentFreezingPulseProjectileSpeed1||66||20% increased Freezing Pulse Projectile Speed|
|EnchantmentFreezingPulseProjectileSpeed2||75||30% increased Freezing Pulse Projectile Speed|
- "Intelligence skills". Official Path of Exile website.
- Mark_GGG (June 8, 2015). "Shock Nova tooltip is poorly worded and confuses many people". Official Path of Exile subreddit. Retrieved June 10, 2015.
- Mark_GGG (July 19, 2016). "Mechanical Questions Thread". Official Path of Exile Forums. Retrieved July 19, 2016.