Evasion is the first layer of defence that increases a character's chance to evade incoming attacks. Evasion is opposed by the attacker's accuracy. Along with armour and energy shield, evasion is one of the three defence types that can implicitly appear on equipment.
All classes start with 53 base evasion rating and gain 3 additional evasion per level. The first level is included in this, so a level 1 character will have 56 base evasion. This gives a base of 353 evasion at level 100.
Dexterity also grants bonuses to evasion. Every 5 points of dexterity provide 1% increased Evasion Rating. Non-multiples of 5 will be rounded up to the nearest multiple of 5 (e.g. 142 dexterity will be rounded to 145).
- 1 Mechanics
- 2 Skills
- 3 Related items
- 4 Passive skills
- 5 References
Evading an attack prevents all damage and other harmful effects including status ailments and stun. Only melee and ranged attacks can be evaded; spells will automatically hit. The chance to evade an attack is based on the defenders evasion rating verses the attacker's accuracy.
Chance to evade can never be lower than 5%, nor higher than 95%. The exception to this is the modifier Cannot Evade enemy Attacks from for example the Unwavering Stance keystone or Ezomyte PeakEzomyte Peak
Iron HatArmour: (23 to 33)
20% increased Physical Damage
+(15 to 25) to Armour
+(25 to 50) to maximum Life
Cannot Evade enemy AttacksCenturies of servitude, a day
of glory, an eternity of death.; this completely removes the character's chance to evade. As an opposite, hits with Hits can't be evaded modifier do not take target's chance to evade into account.
Evasion also gives an implicit chance to not receive critical strikes from attacks. Critical strikes from spells can't be evaded. If an incoming critical strike succeeds its hit roll, a second independent hit roll is performed to determine if the critical is evaded or not. If this roll succeeds, a critical strike is scored. If it fails, the attack still hits, but only for regular damage.
Evasion is not purely based on chance in the sense that each hit is independent. Instead, it uses a system of "entropy" to ensure that enemies won't get long strings of hits or misses by chance. To summarize, these are the calculation steps in each attack:
- If it is first time an entity is attacked or if the time between the last attack and this one is larger than 6 seconds, randomise the entropy from 0–99.
- Calculate chance to hit of the attacker using the above formula, and add this integer to the entropy counter.
- If this is 100 or greater, the check counts as a hit. Subtract 100 from the entropy counter. Otherwise it is a miss and the entropy counter doesn't change.
- A critical hit is evaded on a separate random roll and will not affect this entropy value.
This system is designed to evenly spread out hits and misses such that players always evade an average number of times according to their ‘chance’ to evade. It is still based on chance because of the entropy counter's randomization in the first step. Note that if multiple mobs are attacking one character, all of the mobs' attacks share the same entropy counter. Also note that the chance to evade calculation on the character page is based on the average accuracy of a monster at the player's level.
Interaction with Dodge
Chance to Dodge bonuses granted by sources like Acrobatics function similar to evasion, but are rolled separately and are pseudo-random rather than entropy-based. Phase Acrobatics grants a chance to dodge spells.
Assuming a character has a 40% chance to evade and a 20% chance to dodge, a character has a 52% chance to prevent receiving a hit.
Modifiers to chance to Hit and chance to Evade
Certain modifiers can be directly applied to the Chance to Hit and Chance to Evade stats, such as blind, and Arrow Dancing. The order in which these take effect are as follows; chance to hit is determined based on the attacker's accuracy and the defender's evasion, then modifiers to the attacker's chance to hit get applied, after which modifiers to the defender's chance to evade are applied to get the final chance to evade/hit.
A player is fighting three monsters, one (A) with a 70% chance to hit and two (B, C) with a 45% chance to hit.
- A attacks. The player's entropy is a random number between 0-99, in this case 37.
- A adds 70 to the counter, raising it to 100 or greater, and hits. 100 is subtracted and the counter is now 7.
- B attacks, adding 45. 52
- C attacks, adding 45. 97
- A attacks, adding 70. This hits and the counter becomes 67. It happens to be a critical strike, which means it has a 70% chance to do bonus damage. This roll is independent and doesn't affect entropy.
- The player runs away for >6 seconds, so a new entropy value will be rolled on the next attack.
- Chance to Hit = 500 / ( 500 + (5000/4)^0.8 ) = 62% Chance to Hit.
- Blind lowers the chance to hit to 31%, meaning the player has a 69% chance to evade.
- Shade Form's 20% more Chance to Evade causes the final chance to Evade to be 69 * 1.2 = 82%.
SkillsA list of skill gems that affects evasion rating.
|GraceGraceAura, Spell, AoE|
Mana Reserved: 50%
Can store 1 use(s)
Cooldown Time: 1.20 sec
Cast Time: 1.20 secDrop Level: 24
Requires Level 24Casts an aura that grants evasion to you and your allies.Per 1% Quality:
1% increased Area of Effect radiusYou and nearby allies gain (227 to 2575) additional Evasion Rating
(0 to 40)% increased Area of Effect radiusPlace into an item socket of the right colour to gain this skill. Right click to remove from a socket.
|Poacher's MarkPoacher's MarkCurse, Spell, AoE, Duration|
Mana Cost: (24 to 50)
Cast Time: 0.50 secDrop Level: 24
Requires Level 24Curses all targets in an area, making them less evasive. Hitting the cursed targets will grant life and mana, and killing them will result in more flask charges and a chance to gain a frenzy charge.Per 1% Quality:
Cursed enemies have a 0.5% chance to grant a Frenzy Charge when slainBase duration is (6.0 to 9.8) seconds
(0 to 38)% increased Area of Effect radius
Cursed enemies have (30 to 49)% less Evasion
Cursed enemies grant 100% increased Flask Charges
Cursed enemies grant (5 to 24) Life when Hit by Attacks
Cursed enemies grant (5 to 12) Mana when Hit by Attacks
Cursed enemies have a (21 to 30)% chance to grant a Frenzy Charge when slainPlace into an item socket of the right colour to gain this skill. Right click to remove from a socket.
|Jade Flask ||+3000 to Evasion Rating||4||60||30||2.00||N/A|
|Stibnite Flask ||100% increased Evasion Rating||5.00||30||10||3.00|
Creates a Smoke Cloud on Use
The following jewel affect Evasion:
|Pugilist ||Viridian Jewel||N/A||Large|
1% increased Evasion Rating per 3 Dexterity Allocated in Radius
1% increased Claw Physical Damage per 3 Dexterity Allocated in Radius
1% increased Melee Physical Damage while Unarmed per 3 Dexterity Allocated in Radius
There are passive skills that grant evasion bonuses.
These passive skills grant increased evasion rating or additional base evasion rating.
|Armour and Evasion|| |
|Armour, Evasion and Life|| |
|Evasion and Elemental Resistances|| |
|Evasion and Energy Shield|| |
|Evasion and Life|| |
|Melee Damage and Evasion|| |
|Movement Speed and Evasion|| |
|By The Blade|| |
|Cloth and Chain|| |
|Hatchet Master|| |
|Revenge of the Hunted|| |
|Void Barrier|| |
Evasion rating per frenzy charge
These passive skills grant increased evasion rating based on the number of frenzy charges the character has.
|Evasion Per Frenzy Charge|| |
Evasion rating while Onslaught
These passive skills grant increased evasion rating while you have onslaught.
|Graceful Assault|| |
These passive skills are related to evasion, but do not fit into any other category.
|Iron Reflexes|| |
|Arrow Dancing|| |
|Unwavering Stance|| |
- Malice (November 14, 2011). "Mechanics thread". Path of Exile Forum. Retrieved October 20, 2013.
- Mark_GGG (December 10, 2012). "Mechanics thread". Path of Exile Forum. Retrieved February 7, 2013.
- Mark_GGG (September 14, 2012). "Mechanics thread". Path of Exile Forum. Retrieved October 20, 2013.
- Mark_GGG (August 23, 2013). "Blind + Ondar's Guile Interaction". Official Path of Exile Forums. Retrieved April 25, 2016.