Acts divide up the game into sections. Each major release adds a new act. GGG intends to have 10 acts in the game . Each act takes about 12 months to complete depending on available development resources 
- The Awakening introduces Path of Exile's fourth act, which is set in and around the mining town of Highgate, north of Sarn.
- Act Four contains 14 new areas to explore, 40 new monster varieties to fight, 6 new quests to complete and 9 new bosses to defeat!
- Highgate contains a cast of new NPCs that have full voice acting.
- Added six new world areas (in all three difficulty levels) across three new tilesets. There are three new quests.
- Added a grand finale boss fight.
(Editor's note: the zones Imperial Gardens, Hedge Maze, The Library, The Archives, The Sceptre of God, The upper Sceptre of God and the boss Dominus were added to Act 3 expanding it)
- The City of Sarn, Path of Exile's third act, is now available! It includes 21 areas based on 8 new tilesets, 18 completely new monster types and over 90 monster variations.
- Act 2 was added some time during the alpha for which patch notes are missing